Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ABS pump on my platinum failed last fall, pumped brake fluid out of the motor/pump seal rather than into the interior. I managed to find a parts car with working ABS pump (as in I hooked up a battery, turned the key to "on" and pumped the brakes, causing the pump to run momentarily then stop).

After installing the new pump into my Platinum, the motor still runs continuously when the key is on. I fully believe that leaving the key "on" and the pump pumping for an extended period cooked the motor output shaft seal on my last pump, but I guess there's a chance it needs longer than 20 seconds to refill the accumulator? Not testing that theory without advice as I don't want to cook this pump too.

My conclusion is now that the issue likely is with the car's electronics somewhere, not the pump/accumulator/pressure switch, as the car behaves exactly the same after switching those components over from a car that behaved differently. However, I'm not really sure what to test or look for. Anyone have ideas for what could cause the ABS pump to run constantly?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I’m dumb. Let it run a bit longer and fully filled the accumulator. Seems fixed (for the moment)!

·
Premium Member
13,978 Posts
The pump is cut off by the pressure switch. How are your brakes when it is continuously pumping? If they are good then you most likely need a new pressure switch. If the brakes are no good then it is most likely the accumulator.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
20 seconds is not that long for this system to charge up from rest, especially if it has been sitting unused for more than a couple weeks.

On my Verde it can run noticeably long... but only after a long rest.. when back in regular use (daily, like soon summer) then I just get an occasional whirring of the pump .. in very short bursts ... and not necessarily at start up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! Brakes working fine, I was just paranoid about the long charge time for an empty accumulator. Weirdly this pump only briefly pumped in the car I salvaged it from after sitting for years so I just assumed it would act the same in my car when installed. Guess I've never let one sit long enough to be fully empty before! Now if only i could figure out why I need to unplug my Cold Start injector to run smoothly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts