Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering removing the ABS from a Verde and putting on the Non-ABS mastercly, pedal box, any other valving for the conversion. Has anyone done this and do you think it detracts from the value of the car, Current ABS is showing a Light , but having prior experience with Alfa ABS it seems to be problematic.

·
Premium Member
14,550 Posts
Until last weekend I owned two Verdes. Now I am down to one. I fixed the ABS several times on both cars. The last time around it was a fuse in one car and a sensor wire repair on the other. The ABS is not that complicated. If your pump/accumulator are good, then it is most likely a wheel sensor.

It will be harder to remove the LH valve cover if you switch to a vacuum booster.

·
Registered
615 Posts
keep the ABS. the light could be something simple like a pickup magnet has crap covering it or is too far away from the wheel. Those are thin tiny wires down there. You'll spend five hundred bucks converting it then you will have a permanent light show on your dash but you won't spend one hundred bucks having a mechanic fix it... ABS is far superior.

·
Premium Member
14,550 Posts
Let us know the symptoms. If you turn on the ignition do you hear the pump run and then stop and does the light go out but them come back on when you start moving or does it always stay on even before you start moving?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input, My past experience with the ABS was inconsistent brake pedal feed back, Depending on outside Temp, hard use, etc, I used to track a 3.0 and I would have trouble free braking suddenly turn into hard pedal, poor modulation. I would have the same trouble on very hot days, or in bumper to bumper traffic. From a cost stand point I have all the pieces to make the swap. Now for the positives of ABS , easy to bleed, especially the rears, open bleeder touch the brake pedal with key on. Huge reservoir lots of fresh fluid, but the bad , Nitrogen filled accumulator can fail , allowing pump to run and run and run....My other consideration is availability of replacement parts for the ABS in the near future.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I vote get rid of it. It's probably the most troublesome part of the car, expensive to maintain, and has a failure mode that's downright dangerous and makes the car undriveable. Spend the money you save on better tires to improve braking performance.

If the Milano's ABS system was so great you would see people retrofiting it onto GTV6s and Milanos, but you don't. I have a couple complete ABS systems sitting here, and believe me, nobody wants them.

Greg

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The last time this was discussed there was a small firestorm. There are a few who like the ABS. I for one don,t miss it at all. Due to the dynamics at the local track the left front usually tends to lock up first and I enjoy being able to modulate the brakes with out any interference for a computer. I know some modern race cars use ABS but the Milano really has first generation system that is not very sophisticated.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Many people who track their cars and have tried both will tell you that the ABS brakes have superior feel (disregarding the ABS functionality). This does require you to make sure the accumulator, pressure pump, and pressure switch are in good order. I would pick the ABS brakes any day.
Jes

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The last time this was discussed there was a small firestorm. There are a few who like the ABS. I for one don,t miss it at all. Due to the dynamics at the local track the left front usually tends to lock up first and I enjoy being able to modulate the brakes with out any interference for a computer. I know some modern race cars use ABS but the Milano really has first generation system that is not very sophisticated.
I'm one of the few that love the system. Maintenance of them isn't hard because it isn't a difficult system to understand.

It's also not as ancient and unusable as you guys make it sound.

The Teves system installed in the Milanos were also in high-end cars whose brakes, for their generation, were some of the best anywhere. This subject comes up often around here :) and my response (along with Jes' above) is consistent: if you invested time to learn it, it's easy to maintain. But if your expectation of a braking system as ordained by your deity is a master cylinder, a vacuum booster and a set of calipers, then there is no further discussion :D.

That said, check out this link, it provides a good overview of the Teves Mark II ABS system that was shared across many, many, many cars. The Milano was one of them.

Ford Thunderbird - ABS Anti-Lock Brake System

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Some of you know that Slyalfa retrofitted ABS to his Milano Gold...

When working well, I think the car drives nicer with ABS. For a pure track car, you have to figure in the weight of the whole ABS system vs braking distance improvements with working ABS.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I had a system in a shipping box at one point. Admittedly it wasn't that bad, maybe 40 lbs for everything, including wheel sensors and hub rings. But, all of the heavy stuff is at the top and front of the engine bay. The V6 Milanos need all of the help they can get. =)

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'm not including the 4-10 lb bundle of wire that goes back to the 1 lb ABS computer in the trunk ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Let us know the symptoms. If you turn on the ignition do you hear the pump run and then stop and does the light go out but them come back on when you start moving or does it always stay on even before you start moving?

Can some one explain these further please....im interested.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
'

It's also not as ancient and unusable as you guys make it sound.

The Teves system installed in the Milanos were also in high-end cars whose brakes, for their generation, were some of the best anywhere. This subject comes up often around here :) and my response (along with Jes' above) is consistent: if you invested time to learn it, it's easy to maintain. But if your expectation of a braking system as ordained by your deity is a master cylinder, a vacuum booster and a set of calipers, then there is no further discussion :D.
Well its over 20 years old.

No its not hard to understand or work on but during my time of ownership it was two accumulators and one pump, that's a lot of dollars Id rather spend on racing pads.

There are obviously two camps, neither is right or wrong, its just what you like. I also "made" some extra cash selling my ABS stuff, so there is a market.

·
Registered
135 Posts
An ABS control module/block can cost $600 or more in a modern car, and they are known to go bad in some versions.

Regular non-ABS systems (now mostly all on older cars) can still experience plenty of failures due to corrosion inside the system if water is allowed to build up in the fluid.

All braking systems will have their pros and cons. I prefer the firmer pedal feel and slight layer of safety afforded by having ABS over not having it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I am in the keep camp. I think one thing most do that get fed up is buy used junk that is also 25 years old and a day away from failing. Only get new pumps and then it is good for say 20 more years.
When I got the gold I could only stand the super slow feel for a short while and had to swap in a ABS system with the super quick response. I have never liked the vac boosted break systems due to there slowness and lack of feel.

Now having the ABS system working is a different matter( the anti lock part). but having the fast boost system of the (working) ABS pump I think is a must.
getting the rest working is just extra and keep you from getting flat spots if you over shoot a bit.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
When I got the gold I could only stand the super slow feel for a short while and had to swap in a ABS system with the super quick response. I have never liked the vac boosted break systems due to there slowness and lack of feel.
If that's the issue then Wilwood makes a nice 2psi residual pressure valve that goes in line. You get a nice firm pedal right at the top.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My 2001 ford 1 ton superdutys use hydraulic braking, no vacuum at all. Talking about Fast response and stopping power, meaning put your face to the windshield fast. I often thought about putting in one of those types of systems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
coming from a 1969 GMC 910 1 ton with manual braking on drums......

the verde ABS is a HUGE step up even hough it is 20 years old.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts