Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I bought a 1991 164L and am very happy with it. I bought it knowing that I would need to spend some serious time figuring out Alfa problems. I know Alfa's are known for oil leaks and electrical issues. Overall my car is in awesome shape, but I have one issue I can't figure out. The "anti lock" light is lit on the dashboard, and I have no clue where to look for the fault. Some possibilities that I came up with 1. the car came with 15inch rims, the previous owner put 17 inch rims on. 2. the brake fluid reservoir has one wire that is broken. 3. The steering rack was replaced, and in the process broke the odometer gear so odometer does not work. Can someone please tell me if any of these are real possibilities for causing the light to come on. If not, where should I look to diagnose the fault. This seems to be a rather pesky issue, and I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Wheel size won't cause the light, I don't figure. What will is A) an axle installed without the ABS knotched ring installed on the end of the CV or an B) incorrect ring on the CV axle you have with the wrong knotches, check to be sure they match each other on all 4 wheels. C) Check the wiring connectors at all four wheels for dirt/corrosion. D) bad ground at ABS computer E) crud or metal junk at a wheel sensor(s). Pull and clean all of them up an reinstall. F) perhaps your odometer sender may trip the light, that should be an easy fix with a new sender or (splicing the wiring), the wiring over time and rough handling goes bad at the top of the sender. DON'T pull the whole thing out of the tranny or the plastic gear inside the diff will fall in, just unscrew the top part. The sender screws down on to the lower part which needs to stay in place. Probably other things can cause your problem as well, but these should get you started.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Wheel size won't cause the light, I don't figure. What will is A) an axle installed without the ABS knotched ring installed on the end of the CV or an B) incorrect ring on the CV axle you have with the wrong knotches, check to be sure they match each other on all 4 wheels. C) Check the wiring connectors at all four wheels for dirt/corrosion. D) bad ground at ABS computer E) crud or metal junk at a wheel sensor(s). Pull and clean all of them up an reinstall. F) perhaps your odometer sender may trip the light, that should be an easy fix with a new sender or (splicing the wiring), the wiring over time and rough handling goes bad at the top of the sender. DON'T pull the whole thing out of the tranny or the plastic gear inside the diff will fall in, just unscrew the top part. The sender screws down on to the lower part which needs to stay in place. Probably other things can cause your problem as well, but these should get you started.
Charles
I agree with Chazzy. I think it may be something as simple as cleaning off the sensors at all 4 wheels, they tend to build of metal shavings as well. Simple compressed air will remove that, simple cleaning may do it. Check if connections are broken or unplugged.
CV joint outer Notched ring is typically yellow and needs to be aligned with the sensor.
You may want to pull the battery lead after cleaning and checking the ABS system to clear the lights and if cleaning the ground as well.

Jason

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mind you that the ABS computer has 20 memoryplaces to store faults.Once you have a fault, it takes 20 starts to remove that fault from your memory.Every time you start the car, the fault will move one position in its memory.

Arjen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts