Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a bit of a crossroads with my project Platinum. My ABS brakes have been acting up with the following symptoms:

- first off the electrical connector on the plug/front side of the ABS pump has a short; if I jiggle the connector/wires the pump will buzz and the brake light goes off on the ARC panel
- I rigged a fix for the short by taping a section of pencil on the plug end of the pump and the connector/wires so the circuit is temporarily good
- with my "fix" and accessories on (but engine not running) every time I hit the brake pedal the pump buzzes

So it seems like at a minimum I have a bad accumulator and a short in the pump connector wiring. I have not driven the car much (mostly with ABS non-functioning due to short), so I hope the pump is okay. My question is where in the world can I find a reasonable replacement for the accumulator? I have emailed the Ford Thunderbird web site that has sourced a new accumulator vendor for these ABS systems, but they never emailed me back (they are out of stock).

I can get a good deal for everything I need for a non-ABS swap, but all components are obviously used, and I really didn't like the non-ABS feel on my old Gold. Plus I really don't feel like pulling the parts from the parts car, pulling the ABS setup from my car, and finally swapping the non-ABS stuff back in.

Any advice on a source for a reasonable accumulator (i.e. $200 or so)?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Accumulators are out there in your price range. The internet is the tool to use. I would recommend against buying used. If you can get the wiring to be reliable, I would replace the accumulator and run with the ABS. Probably the cheapest path.

I used a Mitsubishi accumulator and had a friend who runs a machine shop cut the correct threads on it. He didn't like the job because the material did not cut well. However, the accumulator has worked for 2 years now. Here is that thread http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/380841-abs-accumulator.html

Buick Reatta, T-bird Super Coupe, Pontiac 6000 STE, Ferrari and I think SAAB 9000 used the Teves system. Really you just need an accumulator that can handle the pressure and can be hooked up to the pump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts