Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
. . .This why I am in process of swapping out my ABS for conventional brakes. My Verde had been apart for some time and I don't want to deal with it all. . . .
Boy, what a Debbie Downer . . . sucking what is left of any remnants of positive energy out of autoxr13's efforts. :)

If one tried though, one could find similar sentiments expressed over the years here on the BB literally 100s of times.
An ABSectomy is as inevitable as death, taxes, and the wife slappin' ya across the head saying, "Will you take out the garbage already?". It simply must be.
Yet some of us continue fight the (good?) fight, like the salmon swimming upstream, fighting the odds . . . we push on. Is it courage, stubbornness, delusion, stupidity, or some combination thereof? Who's to say . . . but we push on. We are the type dealing(and enjoying?) 30, 40, 50 yo cars? Where is the sanity in that?

I would contend that we all will, one day give in and perform the surgery. But for today . . we press on.
(Tony Robbins has nothing to worry about here)

. . Is there a thread anywhere on the BB with details for making the swap? . . .
Over the years, there have been many. Perhaps this thread is best? or original?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
What are the two thread sizes on the adapter? Too bad the accumulator didn't fix it
Also, please read all of the comments, others have helpful comments, especially regarding the dangers of the pressure in the ABS system.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Dragline
Thanks for that link. Really thorough and with great detail and pictures, including the unexpected problems and solutions.. One of the best I've seen.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
. . . . I had to make a change after taking the pictures as I forgot to machine a bevel at the top of the female threads for the o-ring.
You have to machine a groove for the o-ring on the male threads also. . . .
Do you have any information on the 'o-ring groove' details that you can share, drawing, sketch, pictures, or otherwise? When you say 'o-ring', what did you actually use? You likely reused the smaller seal, and by your comments, polymer/rubber o-rings are implied, but it is hard to believe they will hold up to these pressure? Perhaps if they are proper(well) constrained. I would of thought the application would use copper washers, but hey, that's why I'm asking. :)

I'm likely to take your route.

Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Do you have any information on the 'o-ring groove' details that you can share, drawing, sketch, pictures, or otherwise? When you say 'o-ring', what did you actually use? You likely reused the smaller seal, and by your comments, polymer/rubber o-rings are implied, but it is hard to believe they will hold up to these pressure? Perhaps if they are proper(well) constrained. I would of thought the application would use copper washers, but hey, that's why I'm asking. :)

I'm likely to take your route.

Thanks.
I don't have any drawings for the 0-ring groove. I had missed it I my first iteration and just eyeballed it to be as close to the groove in the Alfa accumulator, about even with the bottom of the threads and rounded. Actually the only things that weren't seat of the pants were the threads and length of the threaded portions which were determined by the old and new accumulators.
I used the same size rubber? O-ring for the fitting into the pump. For the connection between the adapter and the accumulator I used an appropriate sized rubber o-ring. If you look at the top of the pump where the original accumulator goes you will see a sort of 45 degree bevel where the o-ring sits. My adapter has a groove that matches the one in the original accumulator. When the adapter is fully inserted it is almost flush with the top of the pump and locks the o-ring pretty tight. I cut a similar angle bevel in the top of the adapter for the Mitsubishi accumulator. Everything seals fine.
One important note. I did not drill the hole in either the adapter or the Mitsubishi accumulator for the pressure release as explained by Mark_Toro in post 32 above but did print and attach a detailed warning of the process to follow before removing the accumulator. If I was starting over I would probably drill the holes and attach the warning labels.
Good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Also, another related observation.
I ended up buying another Verde either as a parts car or to get back on the road. When checking the ABS I started by pumping the brakes to safely remove the accumulator but never got the expected hard pedal. When I looked forward under the upraised hood after ab out 50 pumps of the brake pedal I saw a fountain of brake fluid shooting out of the top of the master cylinder reservoir. I guess that one needs a new master cylinder or rebuild kit - both apparently unobtanium.
Oh well, another project for another day.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts