Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - Milo still has the ABS system installed. However, the pump runs every time the brakes are applied - bad accumulator. It came with a spare pump and accumulator, swapped out the ball - and it is bad too. No suprize.

The Delco 25528382 is discontinued everywhere. Supposedly they stopped manufacturing it in Sept 2014 - just my luck.

There are a few on e-bay, but $300 plus. Don't want to risk a used one from an unknown source. BMW spheres are only rated to 100 bar and are much larger. There are Mitsubishi spheres 4630a011 that maybe will work, but I haven't had one in my hands yet (ordered one from e-bay for $112).

During my adventures around town to hydraulic shops to see if I could find a similar sized accumulator I ran across a mechanic who said he has relatives in Poland who may be able to source an Alfa ball.

So two paths:
Poland connection
Mitsubishi ball

What an adventure! If anyone finds a good solution, please let me know. Otherwise I'll continue on and let you know how I resolve it. Just hope that my pump holds out until I do! :)

Mark

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Mark,
There's a Milano being parted out right now here on the ALFABB and the owner says the ABS pump was complete and running- maybe you could try that out? Are you sure it's the ball? Have you tried swapping the pump pressure regulator?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob - I am using the T-bird troubleshooting guide - yes it is very helpful. I guess that they will have the same challenges as we wil with replacement parts.

Jim - I am confident it is the ball. All the tests indicate that and I was able to stick a (dull) probe all the way to the top of the orb w/o contacting a diaphragm. I'll check the one being parted to see about servicable parts - thanks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob - that's like quitting!

There are two systems on this car that I have not had the experience of dealing with on the GTV6 - the ABS and the ARC. It is a personal challenge to see if I can get them both to work. Of course it must be a low buck solution too - just to stay in character :)

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Hmmm Mark I may have a brand new accumulator, still sealed in the bag, made in Germany. I seem to remember buying 2 when I did my Dad's Verde, and never used the other. I have to check the shelves in the garage to see if it's still there. If I do, I don't need it anymore...do you have my email? I'd sell it for whatever I paid for it. I think it was in the neighborhood of $200.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Buick Reatta works as well; that's the one I have on my car IIRC.
However, some have indicated that they don't always survive being removed and re-installed on another car.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the modified Mitsubishi accumulator installed right now. My local machine shop turned the correct thread on the new ball - said it was gummy and difficult to machine, but looked nice when done.

Of course the LH rear caliper locked up the day after I installed it (no relation between the problems). Now it has two rebuilt rear calipers, braided line, new rotors, new pads and hardware. I think I need to bleed it a bit more because the brakes feel really weird - lots of kick back in the pedal - even more than with the old dead accumulator. But the pump doesn't run with every brake application.

I think I'm making progress??

Have to hold off on spending money for a couple of weeks - the wife's van crapped out the first set of rear calipers in 5 months, the second in 1 week. The GTV6 header fell apart on the way to the airport - $230 in towing, but it is home safe and sound (and re-assembled). Not to mention the $500 in brake parts for Milo.

Aaahhh the fun of cars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts