Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I reuse the cam lock tabs three times then ditch em. Yves I’m surprised you made it 10 miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Used an impact wrench to remove the reverse thread nut on the wheel hub. Unfortunately, it was set to the normal “lefty loosely” setting and promptly destroyed both the nut and spindle.
`The ONLY reason I will avoid an early Berlina is my mortal dread of forgetting the right-side/left-side wheel nut thing. Or, MUCH worse, forgetting to tell the guy at the tire shop!! Really too bad, because a nice 1750 Berlina is a thing I lust for. The interior appointments are just that much more … I think "posh" is the word. More elegant, less clinical.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
On my 71 spider, it came with lefty tighty on the pass side. I pulled the hubs and replaced the studs with lefty loosely for exactly that reason. It’s easy to do with a shop press.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On my 71 spider, it came with lefty tighty on the pass side. I pulled the hubs and replaced the studs with lefty loosely for exactly that reason. It’s easy to do with a shop press.
That would be my strategy. I'd just have to hope that the next owner (if for instance he bought it at the estate sale following my demise) would double-check to see if I'd stayed original or not.

Seriously, though: Exactly how common is it that a wheel's rotation will loosen the lug nuts on a normally-maintained car?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Lefty tighty nuts have a groove cut across them — but no one these days would look- until I changed mine, I painted them yellow to remind myself

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,751 Posts
Years ago I swapped the rear axle on my GTV with a replacement, because the original had stripped teeth off the pinion. So on a Saturday, a female friend and I (18 years old at the time), using my fathers workshop did this job. There I was trying to undo the left hand rear wheel and I just could not get anywhere ... my attempt at impressing her was hitting a snag!. She suggested to try the other way, and I said, nah, that would be silly (or something like that) :D

After just about busting myself, I tried the other way ...
Pete

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yves I’m surprised you made it 10 miles.
I got to the event, and drove back home with the whine as a companion.

Got a 2000 LSD read end from a friend for $100. Overall, not much of a loss.

25 years later, I still have the 1750 axle with almost new bearing. Anybody needs one?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I never liked that idea of loosening the chain tensioner nut while the engine was running that the owners manual tells you to do. (Does Gordon Raymond do that?) I use a big screwdriver and feel the tension, then tighten the bolt. I know it must work, but it just seems like a ticket to disaster.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts