Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody im new here and i need some help

im found a Alfa Romeo 147 selespeed 2.0, 150 hp, automatic, 2001, 100.000- 110.000 and it cost about 5000€.

it looks great but my dad is saying that Alfa cars have bad quality. is that tru? i really like it but im looking for my first car and i dont want to have sexy but ****ty car.

thanks

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Cam belts are prone to going 'snap' and causing lots of expensive damage...make sure they have been done, and recently...at that mileage, might have even had 2 by now.
Selespeeds can be tricky...you should be able to find loads of info here if you search under 'selespeed'. Do your homework there, for sure !
I'm sure some dedicated 147 drivers will chime in shortly...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cam belts was changed after about 70.000 km. But i could only find with manual gearbox and the one im thinking is automatic. if i buy it will i have more problem or less.

sorry that i didnt search before but i couldnt find where the search is.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The 147 was launched in 2001 and haven't been subject to recurring, "typical" problems. In my opinion, it's on par with any hatchback out there wrt build quality. Tell your dad it's not the seventies anymore ;) The only thing that have proved slightly troublesome is the Selespeed gearbox. The software controlling it was upgraded in 2002 (or 2003, can't quite remember), which rid the Selespeed of most of its problems. You can get the upgrade done with an Alfa dealer.

That's the car itself though. The 16V Twinspark is a wholly different thing. The engine requires (!) pious maintenance and weekly oil checks. The handbook states that these engines can use up to 1 liter of oil per 1000 km without anything being wrong, and a short period of low oil pressure combined with sprited driving will kill off the engine in the long-ish run.

On a side note: the Selespeed 147 has a normal gearbox with an automatic clutch. The 147 Selespeed is not an "automatic" per se, although the City mode sorta makes it one.

I had a 147 2.0 with a manual gearbox for nearly three years, and I miss it ever so often :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts