Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very slowly working on the 2nd or 3rd (lost count) do-over of my 63 Giulia Spider that I purchased for $350 back in 1975.

It is an abnormale with a 1750 and dellortos. (and if I spelled that wrong - sorry)

Anyway I am trying to make a more stock like appearance under the hood. As best as I can tell, 1600 veloce plenums/airboxes and the proper air cleaner are flat unobtainable.

So seeking input on the choices

1 - keep looking (or have someone here point me to a set)

2- just use the old aftermarket filters and keep the hood closed

3 - try and use a 1300 set up for which repros can be readily purchase at a very dear price

Sub question 1 - will that fit in a Giulia with the hood scoop using the lowered centerline mounts?

Sub question 2 - can I fake it by mounting the aircleaner box on the driver side inner fender instead of the firewall?

Sub question 3 - are these half a-s but expensive options plain stupid since it will never be a veloce anyway and the 1300 stuff will always be wrong to those "in the know."

Progress picture of engine compartment (ignore oil filter - got that replaced with an on body spin on) below. Kind of a crappy picture, but its what I had.

Last, I am strongly leaning toward not putting the eyebrows back on. I think it looks cleaner with out .

Constructive thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
are these half a-s but expensive options plain stupid since it will never be a veloce anyway and the 1300 stuff will always be wrong to those "in the know."
I think there are reasons to adapt a stock Alfa air cleaner to your car beyond impressing "those in the know": quieter operation & better filtration. I like your idea about re-mounting the stock (I assume normale) air cleaner to the drivers side fender well, using a 105 airbox (which are fairly available), and some sort of a cross-over flex line to connect them. You will probably need a cam cover with indentations for the cross-over hose, and may need to shorten the snout on the airbox. Whether this will fit under your hood is an unknown.

As you point out, the set-up described above won't fool anyone - a true Giulia veloce has its airfilter cannister on the firewall. But it will look closer to stock and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

I am trying to make a more stock like appearance under the hood.

Last, I am strongly leaning toward not putting the eyebrows back on.
I find those two statements incongruous; why worry about originality underhood (which few people see and fewer appreciate), while leaving the exterior (which everyone sees) unoriginal? I suppose leaving off the eyebrows makes the front end cleaner, but by that logic, you could leave off the grille, bumpers, .... and make it cleaner still!

For what it's worth, my own Giulia spider abnormale has Weiand air filters (but it does have eyebrows!).

Hope to see you at this Saturday's concours!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay

I will see you Saturday.

I am still on the fence about the eyebrows. All the holes got filled in...

I actually have a "spare" 105 airbox from the Green car conversion, although I was trying to keep all that together. I think it is too big and won't fit, were as the 1300 veloce box will. The1600 stock air cleaner that is available has the double hose set up for the two barrel, at least that's the only ones I could find. I suppose a metal worker could fabricate a new inlet, but with without the airbox, I am still nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
The1600 stock air cleaner that is available has the double hose set up for the two barrel, at least that's the only ones I could find. I suppose a metal worker could fabricate a new inlet,
Oh shoot, you're right - those things do have two hoses, don't they?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I would install Webers and the 1600 cold air box and air cleaner if you wanted the engine compartment to look more original. I think that your 1750 engine in a Giulia Spider is a good modification.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the 1750 in the car for 30 years and the dellortos for 25 plus years. Its the 1600 cold air box and air cleaner that I can not find anywhere. Any ideas? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Could be. Are those for a 105 car (GTV) or a Giulia? The giulia ones are narrower.

feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the one without the vent is what I want. Willing to try. Lets discuss off net.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I went ahead a kluged a solution. Its a 1300 air box and filter. Note I had to rotate the intake on the air filer canister 180.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Hey Neil - that looks pretty good. It probably runs much quieter than my Giulia Abnormale does with its Weiand filters and that alone would be worth the effort. Did you use a 1600 Giulia air filter bracket?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts