Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Three mufflers is too many.
Two is just right in my opinion.
My experience is that a rear muffler seems to kill too much of the sound.
Stock cast iron headers, a resonator in the front, then a straight-though performance muffler in the center and a stinger in the back.
On my car, this works great.
It is easy to live with day to day, not too loud, doesn't drone inside the car and has a nice sound as the tach hits 2,000 RPM.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Before I forget..

All of the beautiful Abarth logos melted right off the exhaust after driving for one hour .

Including the nice one on the tip!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That sucks.
Write to the dealer.
He probably has lots of them.
I have ANSA, Weber, ATE and a few other Italian car part stickers on my tool box.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And finally to sum up my experience with abarth-exhausts.com

I do not recommend purchasing anything from Ad, I wrote to him both about the shipment being delayed and about quality issues (the metal Abarth emblem burnt off the tip of the exhaust on day 1) and received NO response. It has been over a week and he still hasn’t responded. I’m sure he has a busy schedule and may or may not be a one man operation but it is still no way to conduct a business. I’d gladly forward my email correspondence to anyone who is interested, he has completely disappeared on me.

The exhaust itself needed to be cut and welded to fit on my 84’ spider even though Ad promised figment for my specific car in writing.

The exhaust definitely sounds Italian but quite loud and droney without a center muffler and VERY quiet with a large center muffler. I recommending using a small center muffler but haven’t done so just yet.

If anyone has any questions about my experience please feel free to contact me!

Maybe Ad will even reply to this thread one day and apologize..

Not a good experiment, do not bother.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
If the Abarth is like the old Ansa. In about 500 to 700 miles all the material inside the muffler will dissipate out and the muffler will become hollow inside. Thats when the sound becomes what you think it should be.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
If the Abarth is like the old Ansa. In about 500 to 700 miles all the material inside the muffler will dissipate out and the muffler will become hollow inside. Thats when the sound becomes what you think it should be.

Only time will tell.

If is going to get louder like most exhausts do, I’ll definitely need a center muffler. It’s unbelievably loud now.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You'll need to experiment to get the sound that you're looking for.
I went through three or four iterations with my exhaust system before I got the sound right.
"That's too loud!" "That's too quiet!" "Ahhh, that's perfect!"
Goldilocks exhaust system.
Stock center mufflers seemed to kill too much sound.
I ended up with the Magnaflow straight through muffler with a stinger.
You might try a cherry bomb muffler and see if that takes the edge off the sound.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
i had a abarth exhuast on my 308 gts and a factory ansa on my euro spec 308 gt4 . i always suspected the factory ansas may be built better than the aftermarket ones with but i have never confirm that.

the aftermarket period abarths along with the CSCs are much better than the ansa. Al Consentino of faza used to import abarth, devil, CSC and even his own "daytona" branded exhaust named after were his business used to be located. he had very close relationships to the cottage vendors in italy to have bespoke items built for him specifically. he told me he stop selling the ansa since they would rust through immediately and wouldnt warranty them like the others.

fast forward 40-50yrs ive heard CSC arent so great anymore and ansa maybe have improved. i certainly hope so given the EXORBITANT prices they are now asking for ansa's. they can command high prices since they were oem on the ferraris, maseratis and lambos. the CSC are manufactured differently now and are owned by a conglomerate i recall. in my limited experience with the vintage stuff the CSC were much better than ansa especially in the wet PNW climate.

though his core business was fiat-abarth, surprisingly Al had a soft spot for camero's and alfa's since he raced them at daytona. few of the old school shops used to be alfa vs fiat much like the ford vs chevy thing here, many wouldnt service one or the other. surprisingly he mention to me how fond he was of the 105 gtv's and what a great car it was since he ran a genuine factory gtam for a period.

the original "Weird Al" here:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a29984/the-strange-lost-history-of-faza-the-worlds-most-bizarre-abarth-tuner/

I sure do miss that wacko!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i had a abarth exhuast on my 308 gts and a factory ansa on my euro spec 308 gt4 . i always suspected the factory ansas may be built better than the aftermarket ones with but i have never confirm that.

the aftermarket period abarths along with the CSCs are much better than the ansa. Al Consentino of faza used to import abarth, devil, CSC and even his own "daytona" branded exhaust named after were his business used to be located. he had very close relationships to the cottage vendors in italy to have bespoke items built for him specifically. he told me he stop selling the ansa since they would rust through immediately and wouldnt warranty them like the others.

fast forward 40-50yrs ive heard CSC arent so great anymore and ansa maybe have improved. i certainly hope so given the EXORBITANT prices they are now asking for ansa's. they can command high prices since they were oem on the ferraris, maseratis and lambos. the CSC are manufactured differently now and are owned by a conglomerate i recall. in my limited experience with the vintage stuff the CSC were much better than ansa especially in the wet PNW climate.

though his core business was fiat-abarth, surprisingly Al had a soft spot for camero's and alfa's since he raced them at daytona. few of the old school shops used to be alfa vs fiat much like the ford vs chevy thing here, many wouldnt service one or the other. surprisingly he mention to me how fond he was of the 105 gtv's and what a great car it was since he ran a genuine factory gtam for a period.

the original "Weird Al" here:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a29984/the-strange-lost-history-of-faza-the-worlds-most-bizarre-abarth-tuner/

I sure do miss that wacko!

Looks like mine might be authentic according to the article:

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Back in 1980 I replaced the exhaust on my '73 with an Ansa system that had those upswept twin tips that are shown in the pictures above. i loved the look of the twin tips but soon discovered the why Alfa OEM exhausts had the downturned tip. The Ansa dirtied the back tail panel with exhaust soot. I also got gas smells into the trunk. Eventually I got tired of having a dirty "tail" and went back to the OEM downturned tip.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Back in 1980 I replaced the exhaust on my '73 with an Ansa system that had those upswept twin tips that are shown in the pictures above. i loved the look of the twin tips but soon discovered the why Alfa OEM exhausts had the downturned tip. The Ansa dirtied the back tail panel with exhaust soot. I also got gas smells into the trunk. Eventually I got tired of having a dirty "tail" and went back to the OEM downturned tip.
My Spider came with an upswept twin tip Ansa. Loved the sound. However, prior to my ownership water had accumulated at the bottom of its curved pipes and they had become perforated. Arrgh. Spider now carries standard OEM muffler with downturned tip. Very quiet. (And, yes, I miss the Ansa sound.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
and one whose lightweight, beautifully engineered cars would run rings around the big boys back in the 60's, including Porsche and Alfa!

as an example a 1300 Abarth simca, was dry sumped, 125 bhp, red line 7200, weighed in at less that 1400lbs, and did 142 mph.
the 2.0 litre version used the biggest webers ever produced, 58 DCOE 3, put out 204 bhp at 7,200 and topped 160 mph!

so Carlo Abarth wasn't just a guy who made fancy exhausts and bolt on bits. He was one of the finest engineers of his day, his cars were simply the ones to beat back in the days.

So your exhaust has a great pedigree, to say the least.

And why the Scorpion?
well, there is one big sting in that little tail:)
I just returned from a road trip to Italy with the AROC of UK, we visited the Vernasca Silver flag Hill climb, your right! Those little Abarths are fliers!! The you tube video is not mine, there were some great cars there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=Mp3Hobpzwzs

We also got to drive to the top of the Fiat Ligotto building and visit the FCA test ground at Baloco and drove the test circuit.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Fortunately this particular exhaust tip layout doesn’t seem to be an issue.. don’t smell anything and haven’t noticed any dirt.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I had a Monza rear section with upturned tips on my duetto.
The back of the car got black because the Webers were running too rich.
The PO's mechanic had made a hash of things.
Once they were sorted, it hasn't been an issue.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts