Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok!

The Abarth exhaust finally arrived from the Netherlands! It took about a month and only time will tell if it was indeed worth the wait.

So let’s start with... what the hell is “Abarth exhausts”? I thought Abarth was the performance division for Fiat? And yes indeed it is the performance division for Fiat named after a famous Austrian race car driver.

That being said it was also the name of a since dead company call “Abarth exhausts”, New Old Stock has since been purchased by a company in the Netherlands called Abarth-Exhausts.com (more on that later). The specific exhaust I ordered was made specifically for 105 Alfa Romeos but they had a few options back in the day for many different cars. What got me excited about ordering anything Abarth related is the special sound most Fiat Abarth make and the fact that the previous owner of my 84’ Alfa Romeo Spider put “Abarth” stickers all over the car. So I said to myself..

“This makes no sense, why are there Fiat badges all over my Alfa but.... you know what! To hell with it! We’re making my Alfa a special edition Abarth variant!”

....Stay tuned! More coming after the install!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Side note:
They could have packaged the muffler a little better but somehow it arrived somewhat unscathed. Small nicks here and there, I’ll examine it a little later tomorrow. Even the chrome tip has some nicks unfortunately, but if it sounds great I’ll be very much ignoring all of that..

·
Registered
19 Posts
very interested in this

...as I had considered the exact same one. The guy who sells them implied that there wasn't much difference between the unit with the back box you've got a and a straight pipe, which made me think a straight rear pipe would be at lot cheaper, however I found that a little odd so maybe it was a language thing. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I bought a front section for my GTV from this guy
last year. It's paired up with a Magnaflow center muffler and Centerline stinger.
Sounds fantastic with a nice snarl when you put your foot in it!
He has a lot of NOS Abarth stuff for other cars too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice exhaust and congrats to the purchase... a nice period correct hot rodding thingy!!! Quite Jealous in fact....

Just as a little side note.... Carlo Abarth was not Italian he was Austrian (From Vienna in fact) who emigrated to Italy and changed his Patronym from Karl Albert Abarth... to a more italianized version of Carlo Abarth... The scorpion as his company logo shows was his astrological sign BTW... he was a strong character and reallly cool petrolhead in his days....

tell us more about of yourr expertience once you've fitted the exhaust and show us some sexy pics please :)

Thomas

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh that's really cool. Stickers and everything! What year is that magazine ad you show? I know Abarth was independent and a general speed-shop - and small maker of sports cars - in the 60s. I think they got bought out by Fiat sometime in the 70s.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I remember ABARTH well...had it on my 63 Mini Cooper....back in those days and in Europe...most performance cars added Abarth exhausts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice exhaust and congrats to the purchase... a nice period correct hot rodding thingy!!! Quite Jealous in fact....

Just as a little side note.... Carlo Abarth was not Italian he was Austrian (From Vienna in fact) who emigrated to Italy and changed his Patronym from Karl Albert Abarth... to a more italianized version of Carlo Abarth... The scorpion as his company logo shows was his astrological sign BTW... he was a strong character and reallly cool petrolhead in his days....

tell us more about of yourr expertience once you've fitted the exhaust and show us some sexy pics please :)

Thomas

Corrected from Italian to Austrian, thanks!!

I’ll report back soon.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Had one on my TR4 when I was in college. As I recall, it was much better made and used heaver materials that than most replacement exhaust systems. Al Cosintino was for several decades the self-proclaimed Abarth go-to guy here in the States and reportedly had a large collection of Abarth exhausts, Campy wheels, etc. On his death his stuff was reportedly sold to Australia. I'm wondering if these Abarth exhausts are a part of that stash? Al was quite a guy, although he always seemed to be a few degrees off balance . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I find it somewhat hard to believe that this outfit is selling NOS Abarth exhausts for 105s for just 325 Euro. Vintage Abarth accessories are somewhat akin to the Holy Grail. Thoughts?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I find it somewhat hard to believe that this outfit is selling NOS Abarth exhausts for 105s for just 325 Euro. Vintage Abarth accessories are somewhat akin to the Holy Grail. Thoughts?

My assumption is the company ran out of business and had no choice but to sell their entire stock at once for a very very very cheap price.

I don’t think any new customers have heard of them since, as I think it’s a one man operation with no budget for advertising. Who knows, maybe my forum post will get some sold?

Once the current stock is gone though, it’s truly all gone...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh that's really cool. Stickers and everything! What year is that magazine ad you show? I know Abarth was independent and a general speed-shop - and small maker of sports cars - in the 60s. I think they got bought out by Fiat sometime in the 70s.

Here’s a better image:

“Early 1970’s”

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I know Abarth was independent and a general speed-shop - and small maker of sports cars - in the 60s...
and one whose lightweight, beautifully engineered cars would run rings around the big boys back in the 60's, including Porsche and Alfa!

as an example a 1300 Abarth simca, was dry sumped, 125 bhp, red line 7200, weighed in at less that 1400lbs, and did 142 mph.
the 2.0 litre version used the biggest webers ever produced, 58 DCOE 3, put out 204 bhp at 7,200 and topped 160 mph!

so Carlo Abarth wasn't just a guy who made fancy exhausts and bolt on bits. He was one of the finest engineers of his day, his cars were simply the ones to beat back in the days.

So your exhaust has a great pedigree, to say the least.

And why the Scorpion?
well, there is one big sting in that little tail:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I love the megaphone exhaust in that picture above!
Bayless Racing, a FIAT racing supplier, used to sell those and other Abarth parts.
I had an Abarth rear section on my FIAT Brava, my first Italian.
I miss that car even though it left me stranded more than once.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an ABARTH on my spyder, (86) got it ,many years ago. Also had ABARTH on my MGA, and Healy ( I think). I always replaced exhaust when I bought the cars..also some other things, like replaced the steel wheels on my spyder for Chromodoro Turbinos...much lighter, so better handling... just my 2 cents:|

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an ABARTH on my spyder, (86) got it ,many years ago. Also had ABARTH on my MGA, and Healy ( I think). I always replaced exhaust when I bought the cars..also some other things, like replaced the steel wheels on my spyder for Chromodoro Turbinos...much lighter, so better handling... just my 2 cents:|

Do you Iike the sound of your Abarth exhaust on your spider? What is it like? Thanks for commenting!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I love the megaphone exhaust in that picture above!
Bayless Racing, a FIAT racing supplier, used to sell those and other Abarth parts.
I had an Abarth rear section on my FIAT Brava, my first Italian.
I miss that car event though it left me stranded more than once.
Yep, I remember the ads and the Bayless catalog. I had early 124 spiders.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And the review is in!

Underwhelming and very quiet.

Don’t get me wrong it looks beautiful, but I still have a LARGE Borla center section muffler and the original CAT..

So that definitely plays into it..

If I have the time this week ill get the middle section either removed completely or maybe a smaller section put in? Currently it is extremely muffled.

Let’s hear from you guys!

Have some kind of middle section or none at all?

Glass pack? I’m taking votes!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts