Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a site that lists the ways to tell a real 750 Abarth motor from a Fiat 600? I was going to use a 1050 motor for my project but recently bought a bunch of parts and included was a bunch of Abarth parts and a disassembled motor. There isn't a crank but everything else is there. The po thought it was a fiat engine but it belonged to his father and knows nothing about about it really. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
J.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
What "other parts" did you get? These engines usually used Fiat rods and Borgo pistons.
Do you have an Abarth cam, timing belt, Sump?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly a bunch of trim pieces and two radiators. I was only after a transmission that he had but it was for a 850 I think. Yes there is a cam and parts to the belt set up but also the std chain and a aftermarket sump I think. The head had the tach drive and had hipo valve springs and that has me wondering if it's real.

Thanks!
J.

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
There is the mirafioria Fiat forum, you might start there. There must be documentation online of engine numbers in the Abarth series and Fiat, if different? Or find and reread old FAZA catalogs and the Fiat/Abarth guide (Michael someone?) or the Illustrated Buyer's Guide, as a start: ILLUSTRATED ABARTH BUYER'S GUIDE by P.Vack.
English text. 19 x 24 cms. 128 pages. 188 B/W photos. All models from 1949 to 1984.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If the head has a tach drive it's a good indication that it's real. The belt kit is one of the few Abarth parts that really didn't work. Most racers, even today, run a chain.
You need Greg Schmit's old book Fiat and Abarth tricks. Also pictures here a worth a thousand words. In particular the block numbers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've tried mirafioria before but the layout is very different from here. Especially the search function but I will try and take another look. I also have the Abarh buyer's guide but I have been meaning to pick up the Schmidt book. It's funny I was reading the posted notes that I left in the Buyers Guideand and it's been almost two years since I've bought this stuff. But I guess that is recent for me. I will post some picks and numbers when I can.

Thanks!
J.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Certainly a few genuine pieces there including the header. Many copies were made of the Abarth header. I've never seen a copy where the pipes merge as well as they do on the Abarth unit. Hard to tell from the picture but the sump looks more like a standard Fiat 850 unit. Also this engine looks like it had the oiling modification indicated by the external relief valve.
I'd be interested to hear more about your project and what this of the 1050 might go into.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think your right about the sump as it has fiat stamped on it. I have another one somewhere but it's not the nice abarth unit. I have a 59 600 that came to me with no trans or engine but someone did some work to it as it has the disc brake conversion done already. I've had the car for over 10 years and have been picking up parts here and there. I would like to do a period correct or rather a vintage looking street racer.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I think your right about the sump as it has fiat stamped on it. I have another one somewhere but it's not the nice abarth unit. I have a 59 600 that came to me with no trans or engine but someone did some work to it as it has the disc brake conversion done already. I've had the car for over 10 years and have been picking up parts here and there. I would like to do a period correct or rather a vintage looking street racer.
Cool project.
Probably most cost effective to go with the 1050.

I've been collecting Abarth parts to build my 67 850 spider.
I have the Abarth sump, header/exhaust and crank that in an early block makes 982cc. I'm going in the OT 1000 direction but don't care to make an exact replica just staying period correct.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 67 has the cool headlight covers right? Those are nice looking. Yes I probably will go with the 1050 as you can get more power. If I go that route I will clean this motor up and keep it in my living room. It's kinda a toss up as I already had the tachometer and cable to go with the drive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to thank everyone for helping me with this. I've been in contact with Mahlon and after talking a bit I'm pretty sure it's an Abarth block. I would recommend anyone with any Abarth questions to reach out to him. After all this I will probably build this engine up as well. I'll also post a few pics of the car also when I get a chance.

Thanks again!
J.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts