Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Abandoned Alfa Romeo Advice

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tom Frasca 
#1 ·
My next door neighbor had an 1984 Spider Veloce (I think) abandoned at his shop. It's been sitting out for a couple years, so there's rust (not frame that I can tell), a not so impressive paint job, crappy carpet, bad upholstery, and missing keys. Top still keeps it dry, tires hold air, and the engine doesn't seem to be seized. I'm currently working through the local court/police to re-title it. He wants to get rid of it...

I'm new to the Alfa scene, but enjoy working on cars. Any advice on where to start? I'm thinking getting new keys is the priority... But I'm going to get it up in the air tomorrow and give it a thorough inspection.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

[pics below]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the asylum.

Rust is the biggest killer of these cars. There is no frame - it is a unibody (the body structure itself is the frame). The floors & sills/rockers make up the main structural strength of the car. Any of this is repairable but often at significant cost. The general rule is that any rust you see is 1/3rd to 1/10th of what is actually there. Not trying to dissuade you just making sure you enter into this with open eyes.

I suggest you contact a local Alfa club. The members there are likely able to help you check out this gem. And, they might even know of better prospects - it's been said that occasionally an Alfa owner will actually sell one of their cars (they all own more than one...). Usually that is to finance the purchase of another Alfa - Always Looking For Another.

#4 ·
Thank you for the quick replies and welcomes!

@ghnl : Ok, I'm going to get it up on a lift today, but from looking under the body while on the ground (ie. not a lot of space) the only rust is located on the passenger side sill/rocker outside... Pictures below. There's two pretty spongy holes that are developing in this area. Since this is going to be my 3rd car (4runner and Chevy 2500) and its $200, I'm willing to accept a bit more risk as long as I can stop it. You mentioned repairable, thoughts on being able to patch over the rocker? or will I have to completely replace it? I'm going to look into local clubs today as well (Saint Louis area will probably be closest).

@alfaloco : I used the link, but I'm only getting a domain error. Google it is!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
looking under the body while on the ground (ie. not a lot of space) the only rust is located on the passenger side sill/rocker outside... There's two pretty spongy holes that are developing in this area. ...thoughts on being able to patch over the rocker? or will I have to completely replace it?
New_Guy:

Denial is one of the strongest of human emotions!

As ghnl explained, "There is no frame - it is a unibody (the body structure itself is the frame) ". So instead of calling them "rockers", we should really use the term "frame members". Whether this is your primary car, or your 37th, spongy holes in the area beneath the doors is NOT a good sign and "patching over" problems in that area won't cure the structural issue. Completely replacing the damaged metal will be necessary for this car to be safe.

I'm going to look into local clubs today as well (Saint Louis area will probably be closest).
I used to live in University City and was a member of the St. Louis chapter. Those are good people, who'll give you sound advice on what repairs are necessary and what shops can assist.

Reactions: alfaloco
#7 · (Edited)
My experience of Spiders is zero, but the outer rocker/sill panel of a 105 series GTV is super thin panel steel that offers little strength. The middle and inner rockers are the chassis rails ... but if the outer panel is rusting and the car spent 2 years parked on a field, hmmm, I suspect she's very rusty (unless its in Texas)
Pete

#8 ·
Maybe you could buy this one and combine the two into one good car?

#10 ·
@PocketAce Sadly, I do not know how to weld, but I've been wanting to learn.
@ghnl Even worse is that I will be moving in ~2 months for work and am currently trying to figure out if I'll even be able to take it (let alone two).

I've reached out to the POC at stlaroc.org! I'll keep y'all updated on what I find out!
Thank you for all the help/suggestions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.