Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Everyone

my forst post here.. im new to Alfa, coming from having owned Marcos, Ginetta, alpine-renaults..

i just sold my '77 alpine renault and im kinda decided now on having a GTA rep to run along side my '63 ginetta G4 race car

It will be road/track day car. I really like the wide body flared arches look, but i want a step nose car.. So would i be right in saying that the step nose cars that wore arches were GTA 1300 juniors and not the larger engined variants .??

If so, would it be a bad idea to make a flared step nose and run it with 2litre for reliability/performance...?
is it a shame to have to cut the arches if they are good..
are tyres for the 8-9 inch wide rims gonna be extremely expensive..?
would it be wiser/more desirable to keep the car with standard bodywork..?

i may have found a donor, a '71 GT junior..
help with the above appreciated, thanks for any advice :)

shad

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi guys

thanks for the opinions

i went to see the white one for sale in london.

But i think id rather spend a bit more and have it done how i want. I wont be doing the work myself though..

I also feel it may be a shame to convert a nice car, but the replica will still hold its value and appear to others if i ever came to sell it.

I want a 2litre for power, but did the step-nose wide body ever run with a 2litre engine?

the 13x8 wheels that would be used for the build, Can anyone tell me what tyres this would need. i guess 225 45 13?

The alternative ofcourse would be a GTA replica without the flares... maybe this would be less controversial?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
another way of looking at it is lets say a car isnt in very good condition, it may not be worth restoring to its original spec (eg if it was an entry level model), and so the alternative of creating a replica of the racing version means the cars' future is better and will be cherished and used and seen by many for years to come...... rather than languishing unrestored.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for that.. My feeling is i may be better sticking to a GTA replica (without flares) and will opt for a 2 litre for best power output, as im not intending to race this in any series, but a good track day car which i will use on the road also.

Im assuming the 2 litre would be the best option for power while still being a period engine

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
hmm, ok where should i have posted this then?? it seems to be a popular thread though!
I like the look of the regular body with the rear arch extensions, this is a nice compromise...
Ok so the engine will be TS
The bodywork im thinking if the donor car hasnt got great panels i want to replace as many as possible in fibreglass (i am a huge fan of fibreglass cars)... all panels are available, e.g from Alfapanels
Im sure some of you will think this is a terrible idea, but the weight saving and repairability (and rust-proofness) will be great.....

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
i see, well its a forum for discussion, and u cant always categorise a topic like that
discussion is good, and its not like were discussing something totally unrelated to GTAs... its pointless to bring this up really
u say its not anything to do with a GTA----except for the fact the whole point of the project is to make a GTA replica...!!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
i spoke to the chap at alfapanels a few days ago.. he said he has rebuilt 105 series cars where all panels have been replaced with fibreglass. On average a fibreglass panel is half the weight or less than steel. His own car weighs in at 850kg.
He didnt mention any strengthening etc , so im not sure how exactly the panels are attached..

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
although looking in the previous posts in this section there are nmerous ones regarding GTA 'replicas'...
im confused

i find it worrying that its such a big deal to some people.. I only wanted to discuss a potential build, but now we just seem to be discussing where this thread should be.
Is there so much snobbery among Alfa owners?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hi Shadmonk

A definition of `snobbery`; the trait of condescending to those of lower social status.

I, being British - as I assume you are living in London - feel this is an inappropriate comment to make. We are not snobbish on this forum.

Your opening request asked various details about building a road/track Alfa. It was answered frankly, from different viewpoints as you would expect given the very general nature of the question.

In subsequent discussion your questioning has suggested a different beast to a GTA/derivative so, some are suggesting gently you will get a better response on another forum. At the risk of incurring the ire of the moderators I would suggest [email protected] as a useful source of info. or elsewhere within ABB and places have been suggested.

GTA`s have certain intrinsic characteristics that need to be included in any replica -- just look at Alfaholics cars for my take on this -- none of which you propose, hence the inappropriateness of this particular forum.

Snobbery? No just trying to be helpful to point you in a direction where you will get better feedback to your particular needs.

We are all Alfisti here and wish all new members to the clan our best wishes -- more often than not this is a labor of love without financial reward....

Richard
AT no point did i suggest anything other than a GTA replica, be it wide or narrow. I mentioned that i was still unsure regarding the flares, due to the problems involving cutting arches, wide tyres Etc etc. My original question did mention whether it may be wiser to stick with the narrow body.

The alfaholics GTA replica, is EXACTLY the sort of thing i would be looking to do if i didnt go with the wide body. Their replicas are also made with a TS engine, and Max's runs a 2 litre (i think?).
How is this different to what i proposed above? I am new to this so forgive me if i have overlooked anything.

I even mentioned in the thread that i would prefer a period correct engine (even if it is a 2litre)
when it comes to the exterior/interior im looking to do period GTA look with correct seating/instrumentation. So im aiming for a real GTA look, not a fast road GTV etc as suggested.

the last thing i want is to offend anyone, but you can maybe understand my point of view as an enthusiast who simply wanted some advice.

As u may have gathered i am a car nut and although i dont own an alfa yet i am totally committed to the idea of this project.
Im glad for all the useful advice so far...thanks

Edit:: stuart thanks, thats very kind of you

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
ok glad its been moved so the 'real' GTA section doesnt get further diluted with this nasty 'replica' stuff..

So anyway im glad for all the advice so far. Im still deciding on a suitable car to start project on, but my preference will be using fibreglass panels (except maybe front wings)
- is it difficult to convert a non-stepnose to stepnose using fibreglass replacement panels?

Reading previous threads, people have mentioned that the car may lose strength with fibre panels, but beneath the rear wings there seems to be additional strength provided by the inner wings etc. Do the front wings really contribute to the strength of the monocoque significantly? Would a full cage be sufficient to restore any lost rigidity?

Im a fan of glassfibre and if well bonded to the metal i dont see how it could be much weaker. Original GTAs with alu panels bonded and riveted to the steel chassis would be of similar strength im guessing.

And on a different note, i agree with VEEP above, when the prices of cars become so inflated they will inevitably be used less and garaged more, while also becoming further from the reach of the average enthusiast. Afterall when the GTA was made if was not a high-end luxury model competing with the likes of italian exotica. Yes they were made in low numbers but this was for homologation purposes rather than for exclusivity.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yes.. i think it was better off in the GTA section also, but too many GTA purists were getting annoyed that the topic was top of the GTA thread list :)

anyway.. any ideas on the thoughts i posted above?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.