Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, went to bed Saturday night all set to re-install the refurbished gas tank and button up the trunk rehab project the next day. Instead I'm awakened at 4 am by my daughter yelling that there's water flooding the kitchen! And the kitchen is over the basement level garage. :eek:I run downstairs to see my spider (top down. I know, I know I was supposed to store it with the top up), water pouring from points all over the ceiling and soaking the car and everything else in the garage. I throw a tarp over the whole thing, run upstairs to shut off the water (a compression fitting under the sink had blown).
While wife and daughter mopped up the kitchen, I worked on the garage, keeping the ceiling drippage out of the car and mopping the floor. Once the "rain" stopped I was able to sop up the water off the car floor and other ponds (a one quart big gulp glass on the workbench was FULL) in the car. Once I'd gotten to what I could, I decided it was a best to pull the seats (only took a quick search of the board to find out how to do that). None of the bolts were rusted or stripped, so that was good luck. Smart to have pulled the seats since there were 2 inch deep puddles under each. Pulled up the mats and dried under them. The rear area has glued in carpet, so I shop vac'ed that, then sopped up more with towels, then hit it with the hair dryer.
Somehow the seats are not really wet (they are cloth upholstery), but they'll sit in a warm room for a while. And I'll leave a heater going in the car a while just to dry things out well,
So what at first looked ghastly did not turn out badly. I found no nasty rust (seat anchors are solid) and nothing will need to be replaced. Unfortunately a garage ceiling replacement is now on the to do list. Maybe I'll get to the gas tank replacement next weekend. And I put the top up.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
So sorry to hear about your bad fortune! Well, look at the bright side, at least your carpet gets a good cleaning;)

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Water finds am open convertible.....

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
what year is your car? if it is a bosch car.pull the ecu's check for water damage..

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Talk about your rude awakening! :eek:

Extra points awarded for getting the priorities straight; covering the Alfa FIRST and THEN turning off the water. :)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
2cents from the edge:

As long as the seats are out, might not hurt to pull up the edges of the carpet and pull the drainplugs in the floor.

If not to get any residual water out, at least to let air circulate under there. (mold are stinky and apparently bad for you)

·
Registered
492 Posts
run a dehumidifier in addition to that heater in the garage, and keep the garage closed with the dehumidifier running for a while.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Since the water originated from inside the house, any rehab/replacement should be covered by your homeowners policy - including damage to your Alfa. Just a thought.

Also, based on my past ownership of Triumph's (water regularly coming in - including top left down in the rain) I'd recommend a couple of portable fan based heaters. Even drop lights lowered close to the carpets help. De-humidifiers? Nah, too complex for me - get heat & air circulating and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions and support! The seats are in a heated room drying out nicely, under the rubber mats is good and dry, under the rear area glued-in carpet is 99% dry, so I'm still running a small heater to get it all dry. Running a rented industrial dehumidifier and getting a couple of gallons a day out of the air/walls. The garage wallboard and insulation are all water logged and will need to come down soon before they start to mold. But at least the asbestos report (old house!) came back negative on all wall components so that saves several grand. But it is still a major derailment of Alfa project time and money. I'd rather have put the money (already at $300 for the dehumidifier rental and asbestos lab tests!) into the car and improve it rather than into the garage just to get it back to where it was. Will probably take the "opportunity" to upgrade the garage wiring anyway while everything is open.
The one thing I quickly did was replace the "pex" water piping under the kitchen sink (compression jointed; it just blew right apart after 5 years of service) with threaded stainless steel braided supply line. (add $20 to the running project total, but those suckers will never blow.)
Answers:
yes, the carpet is very clean now!
no Bosch ECU, she's a 72
Thanks for the bonus points, Jim! What can I trade them in for?
There are no drain plugs in the floor. The floors were replaced/patched decades ago apparently without putting drain plugs in; I never noticed.
Yeah the homeowners would cover it, but making a small claim is a sure way to getting rates jacked up or cancelled all together. It's an eat for me.:(

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Roger,
Run a few fans to keep the air moving, it will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Leakage like this should be covered under a homeowner's policy, flooding from outside the home would not, but flooding from broken plumbing should - if you have not made a claim you should do so (unless you really think the damages will be not much more than your deductible).

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
What paulbinct said... I had a washer hot water fill pipe burst a copper sweat joint a few years ago. The plumbers hired by the construction contractor had inserted the copper sweat joint only about 1/16" instead of the 1/2" is should have been made up with. Over ten years of service, it finally cracked the solder and started leaking. It should never have happened. Homeowner's insurance covered the damages, but I was told if it had resulted from a slow leak (not a sudden failure) that I'd not have been covered. Even if the water hadn't been readily apparent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts