Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. heres a question at highway speeds, how much do'es you inside review mirror vibrate?

·
Registered
what part?
10,895 Posts
i have some, but it be because of stiffer front/ rear springs, and the way i adjusted my qa1 shocks.. and a energy suspenion transmission mount..polly... the vibration it not much...

·
Registered
159 Posts
No inside vibration, but the quality of the image is questionable. The day/night images bleed through. I used mighty putty for the internal hardware for the vibration I had on the outside dr. side.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
no vibrations

No vibrations from the inside mirror at all. IAP red sport springs and Koni's.

Outside mirrors don't vibrate much but the right side moves itself out of alignment every time I drive.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Mine are rock solid until I hit 136, then they blur a little..:D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
inside rear view mirror... on one car DID vibrate... a short length of rubber hose... gas line type.. from the base tip to the glass.... eliminates it...

The OUTside mirror... a round stainless Repro... has a hard time staying put at higher speeds. not sure how that gets tightened...

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
love that sunset, in the mirror..:):)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The OUTside mirror... a round stainless Repro... has a hard time staying put at higher speeds. not sure how that gets tightened...
If you're talking the stalk where it meets the base, there is a screwed on bit of sheet metal inside the base which rides on a ball machined on the end of the stalk that can you tighten or loosen to get the tension you want on the stalk itself.

Take the mirror assembly off the door and roll it over. Real easy to spot and figure out how to work.

The mirror head I dunno, but imagine it starts by trying to get the glass out without breaking it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
thanks Darren.. I'll pull that off this weekend. It IS the stalk that floats a bit with speed. I find myself looking in the mirror and seeing all the mistakes I've made in my life..... :).

and thx on the pic.. that was going east to SFe from ABQ last Spring..

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Once in there, if you find it won't tighten up enough for your taste, pull the little plate completely out, flatten it and then reinstall.

It makes tension as you tighten the screws by forcing the stalk ball (eww) into the bushing in the mount.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The interior vibrates less than it did before I tightened the mounting screws for the bracket under the snap off mirror. The exteriors don't vibrate. Previously, the interior mirror was all but useless unless the car following was right behind me.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I just tried this, to eliminate vibration on the inside mirror. It works!

inside rear view mirror... on one car DID vibrate... a short length of rubber hose... gas line type.. from the base tip to the glass.... eliminates it....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rear view mirror shake is common in convertibles due to softer torsional vehicle stiffness. Loose mirror stalks and the like make the situation worse. When the PT Cruiser came out with a convertible we strapped 35lbs of cast iron :eek: combined with rubber bushings to create a mass damper behind the left rear bumper fascia to eliminate header shake.

·
Registered
514 Posts
No picture Reed, but pretty simple. Piece of new gas line hose, or similar stiff wall hose. Maybe 3 inches long.. can't remember.. but it goes from the mirror connect point.. middle bottom... to the windshield... tight fit.. and you can barely see it, acts as a vibration damper.

·
Registered
797 Posts
No picture Reed, but pretty simple. Piece of new gas line hose, or similar stiff wall hose. Maybe 3 inches long.. can't remember.. but it goes from the mirror connect point.. middle bottom... to the windshield... tight fit.. and you can barely see it, acts as a vibration damper.
Great. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts