Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I watched that this morning.....He knows very little about the car OR the history. He sort of wandered thru the drive.
He is a car guy, just not an Alfa guy.

·
Push hard and live
9,652 Posts
With that many cars, probably tough to get all that.... personal.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed what appeared to be his honest appreciation of the car. "Original wheels. I think...". Also not the original ride height. I have to wonder if it has the stock from brakes?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah, I cringed at a few things he got wrong. But that's ok. It was a nice vid all the same. I'm glad that he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the car and probably helped get the Montreal a bit more attention/recognition.

Did anyone else notice the front spoiler? Looked unusual.

Those wheels look great on the car.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Wheels look fantastic!

Biggest let down of these cars are the genuine wheels. I'm an originality guy but the turbinas would be removed within seconds of a Montreal rolling on my driveway, if I owned it
Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
Saw this first on Reddit and here's my comment from there:

First impression: WT F? Who the hell does not know what a Montreal is? How could it ever be mistaken for any other car on the road?

Second impression: He should learn Italian pronunciation

Third impression: To me, his drive commentary was more meandering c o cktail chatter and less painting a picture of what the experience of the car is.

Final impression: Could have been so much more.

[Wow, the filter here is so strong that an alcoholic beverage synonym beginning with co and ending with cktail is replaced with ****s]

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
"you're not going to be the fastest guy on the block, but you're going to be the happiest"
and that is exactly the point of the montreal.
You just feel good driving it.

For a guy who can choose between any amount of supercars in his garage, it came across like he had genuine fun.

Sure he got a few things wrong, but minor stuff, ok spike-a instead of speak-a, but big deal
most on here (me included) wouldn't know the cc of a miura....I bet JL does.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Biggest let down of these cars are the genuine wheels. I'm an originality guy but the turbinas would be removed within seconds of a Montreal rolling on my driveway, if I owned it
Pete
I feel the same way. The turbinas are stacked up in the garage attic. The only problem caused by this video is, now I want an exhaust system like that car had! Is that an Alfaholics exhaust? I love the cars 'stance' too. I drove the Montreal to one of the C&O shows a while back. As I looked for a parking space, I saw folks chasing me, on foot through the parking lot. Many folks had never seen a Montreal or knew what it was.

Mark

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Yep! The one thing they should have kept from the prototype .....those glorious wheels
2C3BD985-3930-4438-9B46-0C99C340D65C.png

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have to agree with the appearance of the Ferrari 246 wheels being nicer. Are they 15” dia.? Maybe that’s why they have the lower profile “modern” tires? So what do you do when a judge decides to take off a bunch of points because you have the wrong wheels? We are constantly facing the same dilemma, making the car look better or making it correct...?
First, I have trouble finding someone to judge my car here in Michigan. Then there’s the question of it being a RHD / Australian built car. I am not sure if I can take on the additional question about the correctness of the wheels!! And these are not inexpensive changes we are talking about..., one set of wheels and tires to drive about on another set of wheels and tires to show...?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have to agree with the appearance of the Ferrari 246 wheels being nicer. Are they 15” dia.? Maybe that’s why they have the lower profile “modern” tires? So what do you do when a judge decides to take off a bunch of points because you have the wrong wheels? We are constantly facing the same dilemma, making the car look better or making it correct...?
First, I have trouble finding someone to judge my car here in Michigan. Then there’s the question of it being a RHD / Australian built car. I am not sure if I can take on the additional question about the correctness of the wheels!! And these are not inexpensive changes we are talking about..., one set of wheels and tires to drive about on another set of wheels and tires to show...?
It's fair question. But it's your car. Do what makes you the happiest. From my own standpoint, I'm rebuilding my car for me, not a judge. I'm trying to stick with original as much as possible, but am making improvements along the way. I'll probably even install modern a/c at some point so I can enjoy the car more than 3 months out of the year (I live in FL). But I won't be trying to win shows or cross the Gooding & Co auction block.

And down the road, one of the improvements might be different wheels (e.g. Melber) - assuming someone doesn't reproduce those prototype wheels.

Fwiw, Dino 246 cars had Cromodora (on the Montreal that Leno drove, and the same one that Matt Farah featured on Smoking Tire 2 years ago) or Campy 14" wheels, both with 5-bolt design. They are reproduced and even can be upsized to 16", Wheels & Tyres for Ferrari 206 & 246 - Superformance, which would give more brake/tire options.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's fair question. But it's your car. Do what makes you the happiest. From my own standpoint, I'm rebuilding my car for me, not a judge. I'm trying to stick with original as much as possible, but am making improvements along the way. I'll probably even install modern a/c at some point so I can enjoy the car more than 3 months out of the year (I live in FL). But I won't be trying to win shows or cross the Gooding & Co auction block.

And down the road, one of the improvements might be different wheels (e.g. Melber) - assuming someone doesn't reproduce those prototype wheels.

Fwiw, Dino 246 cars had Cromodora (on the Montreal that Leno drove, and the same one that Matt Farah featured on Smoking Tire 2 years ago) or Campy 14" wheels, both with 5-bolt design. They are reproduced and even can be upsized to 16", Wheels & Tyres for Ferrari 206 & 246 - Superformance, which would give more brake/tire options.
How are you planning to fit the modern aircondition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Stumbled on Jay's video last night. Didn't really know much about the car and wasn't up to his usual commentary . I was surprised to know how many mistakes he made on it and still it came out very favorable in the Monteal's corner. They have always been just out of reach for me, but I am a big fan!

·
Registered
159 Posts
How are you planning to fit the modern aircondition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fair question. I'm still a long ways away from thinking it through. If it's not possible without butchering the car, then I wouldn't do it. But my car came with a/c. So it might be a matter of modernizing some components (e.g. compressor, condenser) while trying to utilize other components/ducting in the original system. That said, I've zero a/c system experience and really have no clue as to what's would be possible by someone who knows what they're doing.

I've considered trying to restore the original system, but it's missing components, and even when working perfectly probably would lose the battle against Florida summers. And the original system is h-e-a-v-y.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I realise we're off topic, but I'd like to mention that I'm in the queue of people who are interested to know more about a modern integrated A/C system. I know Alfaholics did one during one of their re-builds. Surely with today's enginuity and good ol' American know-how, A/C on an old car can be done. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I (that's all of you) could start a separate thread when the time comes.

Enjoy your summer motoring
Rob

·
Super Moderator
10,629 Posts
Yeah, I cringed at a few things he got wrong. But that's ok. It was a nice vid all the same. I'm glad that he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the car and probably helped get the Montreal a bit more attention/recognition.
What was odd about this segment was that Jay did it solo; usually the car's owner or handler is there. So yes, he got some details wrong, but that sort of thing is usually part of the give and take with the owner.

His monologue during the drive was kind of repetitious. I think he was lonely.

Those wheels look great on the car.
Agree. They look similar to the wheels on a Lamborghini Espada. A nice departure from the usual Turbinas.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
He drives so many cars, even he must get a bit humdrum about it sometimes. Also I don't believe he's a big Alfa Romeo fan being a real Bugatti person. He's also a big Lamborghini fan and has probably done more miles in them other than Bob Wallace and Valentino Balboni

Question: The gearing comment he made seems excessive: 5000rpm in 5th gear at only 70 mph ... !! ... is that true?
Pete

1 - 20 of 38 Posts