Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

When I was doing some tests on the coil the other day, I noticed a second condenser that was wired up in a makeshift way to the coil. Any idea what this condenser does, or why the previous owner/s might have installed it?
Thanks!
AA
condensor.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
That was probably added to suppress electrical "noise" from interfering with the radio. Adding capacitors at the coil - and at the generator - was common practice back in the days of tube AM radios, points ignition, and generators. You might try unbolting it from the coil mount, insulating it (just temporarily wrap it with a rag) and see if you can hear interference on the radio. If not, you can probably dispense with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was probably added to suppress electrical "noise" from interfering with the radio. Adding capacitors at the coil - and at the generator - was common practice back in the days of tube AM radios, points ignition, and generators. You might try unbolting it from the coil mount, insulating it (just temporarily wrap it with a rag) and see if you can hear interference on the radio. If not, you can probably dispense with it.
Fascinating. For some reason it seems to be having the opposite effect. All I get on the ancient and presumably AM radio is static. Not that US AM radio would add anything to the car's native ambiance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts