Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, silly sausage! I better check my "How to Post Photos for Dummies" book.

Apologies dude. I will update once I learn how. :(

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is wild!!!!!! Don't think I've ever seen an automatic in a 105 body!! Wow.
I mean, I'm glad mine is a stick, however, is there documentation of any other factory automatics??

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
I feel sorry for the car ... the poor thing never ever be as fun to drive as a manual.

Thus it will either get converted to a manual, or become a collector's car that never gets driven ... as he has a manual one.

Amazing condition though ... but fancy producing an automatic GTV ... what was Alfa thinking.

I have seen and been fro a passenger ride in an automatic Belina, but that atleast makes sense.

Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey don't knock it too much;) It is still an Alfa after all and a 105 to boot!

My wife loves it, and yes some people say what's the point in an auto for GTV's but only 23 in SA and 4 in Oz, 0 in North America, means its for a specific niche market and not marketed towards the usual GT/GTV crowd. I know that mine was a special custom factory order.

Nice novelty car and can be made very practical too. I'd like to have both, manual and an autobox as these are both Alfas, and Alfas are cool in whatever shape and form.:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your import figures are wrong, 45 Automatic Berlinas 2000 where imported from Italy into Australia between 1972 and 1974 and 16 automatic GTV 2000 where imported from ZA between 1974 and 1975, all of those where either white with black interior or red with white interior. The gearbox was a ZF and exactly the same as found in the BMW 2002 of the same vintage. A lot of those cars where converted to manual, but having previously owned an automatic GTV, let me tell you that they are a delight to drive and it is possible to shift manually through the gears and achieve nearly the same acceleration as the manual cars. A friend of mine has actually taken 3 of those boxes to LA and has installed one into a 101 Spider

·
Registered
2 Posts
Arco27, am just curious where you got your import facts from? The Silver 105 in Adelaide claims to be original. Is this legit, ie, given it is not white or red in colour? I do note that it is a 1975 model though - was silver with white offered in '75?:confused:

·
Registered
127 Posts
My figures are from Alfa Romeo Milan (Berlinas) and from AR ZA (Coupes). As for Silver, there might well have been one of those imported in 1975 from ZA or maybe it is a private import. As always with production figures from AR, they are not alway accurate, but a good guide. For example AR insists that 99 rhd GTC's where built, but mine has the chassis number 101 and number 100 is in Melbourne, maybe 2 of them got scrapped on the production line, who knows, figures and numbers where kept rather haphazardly in Milan :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Howdy Arco27, re. your reference to GTV autos imported from ZA? into Aus. Did you mean SA as in South Africa? That figure of 16 automatic GTVs shipped to Aus in 74-75 must be a bit off too since I have 2 in my backyard and there are at least another 4 owned by fellow BB members here in Aus. In the last few years I've spotted maybe another 3 or 4 and that's just here in Melbourne.........

Also, I've only come across either silver or white cars, always with off white trim although Quietelk in Sydney is restoring a red one, not sure of the trim color. I would still be interested to know why the paint/trim combo on these SA assembled cars was so limited? Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
127 Posts
silver, red, white, green

I was given the 16 figure by Alfa Romeo South Africa (abrev. ZA, like AUS for Oz) when I inquired in the 80's, at the time I had a red auto 105 and a blue auto Berlina. By then the ZA assembly plant was closed, so the figures might be rubbery and the colours might be wrong as well. One thing seems to be correct, most of the interiors where white and of dismal quality vinyl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I rescued this one Auto GTV from Melbourne being transorted to Perth.
Looks can be deceiing as you all would have known, this was bought on ebay, the sills are ruelly rusted and doors completely reskin new from eb spares. But neded so much work to fit it. Bought last year March 2006 still getting restored. Can not get aa white upholstery so will change to black.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks as if you got some busy weekends ahead :)
As a matter of interest, there used to be an automatic factory 2Ltr. Alfetta Sedan floating around Sydney in the early 80's. Does anyone know anything about that car? Should be an interesting concept, an auto box on a trans-axle!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts