Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this poor car languishing in the back of a warehouse in Southern CA a couple of years ago. Sorry about the picture quality, I took it w/ a cheap Polaroid, and it has faded a bit. It is an Alfa, in fact a really rare one (like the ONLY one!). The engine was missing, along with a lot of other stuff, but it is still a sugnificant car. Any guesses?

Stu, I am sure you know exactly what it is.....so lets give everyone else a fighting chance to figure it out ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
A shot in the dark.

My guess is a Pininfarina bodied 33 Stradale.
I know Pininfarina made several dfferent bodies for the 33 Stradale chassis.

Garrett

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope

Sorry. Not Pininfarina. More closely related to Ghia.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a famous car!

Instead of Fusi, maybe you should look at your Hot Wheels:)

(That's a hint, btw)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need more hints??

OK, this (exact) car was shown by Alfa Romeo in the Paris Auto Show in 1966. Alfa Romeo made 3 of them, each different. This was the first one, #2 is in the Alfa museum, and # 3 was a spider, which I have never even seen a picture of. It came with a rear-mounted 1600 GTA motor. It has been basically MIA since the auto show. I was stunned to see it in this condition in the back corner of this warehouse. I knew exactly what it was when I saw it. It's not that tough.........

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TZs

He sold the orange (aluminum-bodied prototype) TZ2, ......uh...........traded it for a Ferrari 212...or something. The night I saw this car, I was there working on the red TZ2. Funny, I had to walk around the TZ2, step over the Alfa F1 12 cyl. motor, walk sideways past the Alfa FI car, scrunch past the SZ round tial, widgee pat a Lusso and a Porsche 908, and then crawl over the '61 spider to get to this beauty! Sometimes it's nice to stand in the corner! Yes, the TZs are awesome, but I would love to see this car resored again! It is an important Alfa!

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Yeah, that is Said's car. I saw it at his warehouse a while back. He is working on the car right now, he was in Italy over the winter to document stuff on the car. Hopefully, it'll be done soon. I'll probably see him this weekend at Fontana so, I'll ask him for a status report

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, that's #2

Your picture is Scarabeo #2, which is in the Alfa museum. In fact, that picture was taken inside the museum.

The below picture is this car (#1) in it's youth.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Scarabeo #1

Very cool. Thanks for the information.

I have another question about this car I hope you can answer.

Where was the engine mounted? Was it mounted transversly in the rear?

I hope to see this car in person someday.

Garrett

1 - 20 of 34 Posts