Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming that this fold where the rear bonnet (hood) seal goes is normal?

The car is a 1957 Spider with a lateral bonnet prop rather than a central strut.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - consider it straightened.

It looked so neat and symmetrical I thought it was an original feature though I was a bit perplexed as to how the seal was to fit.

Chris

·
Administrator
4,383 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say it was exactly the width of the old tin sump when a motor was being swung in or out, that would make a neat uniform dent / fold.......

The rear cross member on the firewall above the bellhousing is usually also a victim in these cases

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
There is a rubber gasket that fits there and starts and ends from the flats transition on both sides where you will find a tiny screw hole that tidies up each end with a slotted sheet metal screw, The gasket is just a larger type u-channnel profile with no splash flap. It's probably in the parts book.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen - your help is appreciated.

The fold seems to match a dent in the firewall where the engine was clumsily removed and most likely perched on the rear of the engine bay. This car is full of little surprises like this.

I have a full set of repro seals (gaskets) that, thus far, seem to fit. The rear 'fold' had me intrigued for a while, particularly as it was so symmetrical. All is clear now.

I'm hoping that the chassis will see paint shortly. The grey in the photo is the second coat of primer. The car was literally a rusting wreck when I bought it and it has taken two years of intricate metal work to restore it with many locally manufactured small parts as well as panels from Italy (floors), USA (sills) and Canada (rear valance).

Chris

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,383 Posts
Well done Chris, another one saved !!

That'll make Uncle Gordon a happy man today

Ciao
Greig

p.s - what would make the rest of us happy is more pictures - hint, hint

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few early photos when it was on the rotisserie.

It was rusted from the sills down probably because it sat in a damp barn in Oregon under a drop sheet. It was last road registered in 1973.

I've always wanted a Giulietta Spider and I bought this one for very little money as a disassembled basket case two and a half years ago. I've restored quite a few cars in the past, but this one was particularly challenging. Broken parts, missing parts, incorrect parts you name it, I had it. Luckily I own a decent sized shed in a nearby suburb so I can take my time with it when the body work is done. As I also have a family and a full time job, it will take some time to get it back on the road.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few more photos - I've literally got hundreds of them.

As we dissected the chassis, the rusty bits got tossed into a large bin. Nothing was thrown out until we were absolutely sure that what we'd repaired was correct. All the way down to the metal tabs that hold the underbody wiring, hydraulics and fuel line.

The floors came from Biondi in Italy. Lovely work with only minor fettling to get them to fit. The sills were courtesy of Lionel in Texas and the rear valance came from Wolf Steel in Canada.

The restoration involved the cutting, folding, shaping and fitting of nearly 100 small metal parts to fill rusted out areas and to insure strength and longevity. Everything was rust treated before, during and after fitting. Lots and lots of hammer and dolly work was required to repair the odd dent and ding.

Front and rear trim, lights etc. will be fitted prior to painting to check gaps.

Everything will be removed again when the paint is applied. It was originally red with black upholstery and red piping and will be returned to those colours.

I've been eagerly following many of the other spider restorations on the bb and am endlessly impressed by the quality of the work. I strive to meet those standards.

Regards,
Chris
Oz

PS: Got to hit the sack soon as I'll be up later watching the World Cup final between the Kangaroos and the All Blacks.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for posting the pix.
I suspect you are showing me what I'm in for when I do the full restoration of my car.
One question. When you fitted the new boot floor, did you separate the rear wing from the lower valance and then sandwiched in and spot weld the three layer seam joint?
Regards, Mick

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Short answer - yes.

The rear valance was toast and was removed early. The only way to get the boot floor in was as you suggest.

Chris

PS: Yes I know - it's the Wallabies, not the Kangaroos, that are playing tonight >:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts