Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confussed as to what the club does? Are the mothly meatings a big deal? How active is the average member? How often are events?

I just bought a 78 Spider and I'm not sure if I should join or not, pretty busy thoughout the year, and I'm not sure how worth while it would be for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
AROO question - one members opinion

:)
flamebero said:
I'm a bit confussed as to what the club does?
AROO is one of the more active clubs. They have a regular monthly meeting that seems to average attendance of around 30+ of the near 200 or so members (I'm sure someone more in the know will correct me if I'm too far off). One or two meetings a year may consist of a special event such as a picnic instead of the 'normal' venue. The meetings are informal and most often have extremely interesting speakers that you won't want to miss once you try it a few times! Not to mention that it is a very friendly group of folks.

There are lots of other somewhat regular activities in the way of tours, both one day and weekend tours, rallys, track days, a swap meet, dinners, participation in major local events such as the Historic races (discounted tickets available) and Northwest Classic rally and suggestions for the calendar from members like you are encouraged, and volunteers are also encouraged for some of the events.

You also get two great monthly publications and become an important supporter of the marque by your participation.

Even if you only take advantage of 5% of what is offered, participation is quite rewarding and well worth the minor costs involved.

Richard

·
Registered
324 Posts
Flame:

I'll second Richard's opinion & add some info.. As of the last national meeting, AROO is the 4rth or 5th (I forget which it is) largest club in the US, which is saying something when you consider how low the population of Oregon is. This tells you a lot about the activity level of the club & the participation of the members. Richard is right, we try to be welcoming to new members, come to a meeting & intro yourself, you won't be left out.

We are so well known as an active auto club in the PDX area that we have quite a few members that are active that don't have Alfas, they just like like the AROO members and activities. Picnics, Long Tours, Short Tours, Wine Tours, Long Rallies, Short Rallies, The BEST track days in the Northwest (so say lots of other non AROO folks), you name it, we got it. The monthly meetings are always interesting with good speakers, as Richard said. Lots of tech info available from many knowledgable people that have been around lots of Alfas for a long time. Dan Sommers is at the meetings as a board member, he runs the best Alfa only repair shop in the PDX area.

So yeah, it's worth your time and money to join! We meet @ Buster's BBQ the 3rd Wed of the month, which is Sept. 20th next month.

Bruce

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the name of that Alfa repair shop? I'm getting my car very soon and I might have a few things to be looked at. I think I'll definately get involved in the club just not for a while, as I am busier than I can handle right now.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Veloce Motors, 5291 Concomly Rd in Gervais (Way out by Southbumphuq OR)
but they do have a phone out there (503-274-0064) and I hear they get electricity and indoor plumbing too. Well, not sure of the latter, as we used a one holer at the picnic. It's close enough to Salem that you need to watch out for wild legislators crossing the roads at night.

A closer alternative, and also highly respected, is Nasko on SE Francis, near 54th and Foster.

Richard

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is Nasko Alfa only? Just as good? If Veloce is owned by a club member I'd rather go there. Don't car if it's far away, gives me a chance to drive. :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Come on out to Fall Track day at Portland International Raceway on October 22nd and see what your club does and what you can do in your Alfa.

Join today and come out and play.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Nasko specializes in Alfa for the most part and I don't really know if he is a member of AROO or not, but he is quite good as a mechanic and does support the club! Dan with Veloce is very active in the club and is also extremely competent and is Alfa only. He tends to be quite busy.

Matter of fact there is also an Alfa mechanic in St Helens that I used once with no complaint worth mentioning and Bill Demke at Brownies, is or was on the national AROC list as a tech advisor I guess. Not sure if Bill is really very active with anything bigger than models these days though, but he may be worth a try. I assume Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo who was the local dealer is still into service for Alfa too and that dealer is very supportive of the club and it's members.

Heck try em all and decide for yourself, as I have no axe to grind either way. I bet there is also time to join AROO and volunteer to help at track day on the 22nd too. It's a blast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Veloce Motors is mostly Alfa only. I say mostly because lately we have been working on 50s and 60s Lancias. We do all to all Alfas from tune and service to full restorations. My first car was a 1959 Giulietta veloce spider in 1966. I have always owned and driven Alfas, I own 8 Alfas now. Give us a call about free pick up and delivery for restorations projects. 503-274-0064.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts