Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to instale a msd6 into my 1984 spider..first i must find out what (of the 3:confused:) white wires that go to the tach:confused: and the one that goes to the fi ecu:confused: and the last white goes to the ignition ecu.:confused:.lots of fun .:rolleyes:...and for that large black wire?:confused: all these are on the neg. termal of the coil.:(. well the question for you all wise,smart guys..the msd works for the ignition,, so i know who to do that part, and the tach..not a problem.. but the fi ecu gets it signal also from the coil.. but i really do not think it wise to send all that msd voltage thru the fi ecu...really do not think it would like that...do any of you have any thoghts on this matter..thanks

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You talking the Bosch EFI ECU getting power from the coil?

It doesn't, (it's tied to the battery + via terminal 6 and to the key via terminal 1 on the ECU), but a pulse signal from the coil does deal with the pumps and injectors via the drive relay (pumps) to the main relay (injectors +, with ECU controlling the grounds for such to fire them). However the ICU does get it's power via the coil.

IMO, if it's just a free standing ignition you're putting in, as long as you've got that pulse signal from coil to drive relay, everything should be fine. BUT, you do have to disconnect the large white wire at the coil to disconnect power to the ICU.

Beyond that, no need to tamper the rest of the Bosch wiring system, as disconnecting that one wire will effectively 'eliminate' the ICU, but leave the ECU and relay wiring intact.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
i am going to instale a msd6 into my 1984 spider..first i must find out what (of the 3:confused:) white wires that go to the tach:confused: and the one that goes to the fi ecu:confused: and the last white goes to the ignition ecu.:confused:.lots of fun .:rolleyes:...and for that large black wire?:confused: all these are on the neg. termal of the coil.:(. well the question for you all wise,smart guys..the msd works for the ignition,, so i know who to do that part, and the tach..not a problem.. but the fi ecu gets it signal also from the coil.. but i really do not think it wise to send all that msd voltage thru the fi ecu...really do not think it would like that...do any of you have any thoghts on this matter..thanks
Hi Bianchi1,

I don't know if I can help you, my setup is different then what you have with your MSD but I will go over how I hooked it up in hopes it will help you?

I believe JohnM has that same MSD in his 78 Spider I bet he could shed some light on this for you too?

In my setup I had a MSD Dis-4 (a direct fire ignition) that has a coil for each cylinder and fires sequentially and a programmable ecu that sends trigger signals to it to tell it what cylinder to fire and when .

On the MSD Dis-4 control box there is a tach output. I connected a wire from this output to the tach but in my case I had to send the tach out to have it set up to read the signal the MSD was putting out.

The way my ignition works is the ECU sends trigger signals to the MSD (via the information the crank and camshaft sensors sends it) to fire each coil individually. In hooking it up I had to hook up the white, yellow, violet, green wires (trigger wires for each cylinder) a hot lead and a hot switch lead to the MSD.

Pictures:

The first pic are the trigger wires coming from the ecu connecting to the MSD trigger wires.

The second pic is the MSD connector where the trigger wires were plug into.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
..murray.. if you guessed :confused:.. what percentage of you alfa spider is still a alfa spider..:rolleyes:;):D:D:D

It's still 100% Alfa Spider................ but if what you mean is the % of what is different from a stock S-4 Spider it depends on what percentage you consider the drive line, suspension, brakes, induction, exhaust system, EFI, emmisions equipment or lack of, coolant system and the ignition? :D

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:):) like i should talk.:) my car now has..mazda rx7 caliper, saab front disk, mazda maita seats,porshe 944 centre counsle....corvette tail lamps, the red round ones off a 1993 model i think")( nicely done thuo flush fit).. sone my fi will be changed to lh jet..no flap, just a hot wire, so i can finely instale my 4 throttle body kit...almost done :):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts