Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys..heres another mystery on my 1983 GTV6. This plug also has nothing to connect to. My car is up and running now...but I can't for the life of me find where this would connect. It comes out at the firewall..more toward the right side. I almost looks like it has NEVER been hooked to anything. Now my GTV6 is a California model, and I have no Altitude compensator...could that be where it should go? A friend showed me a picture of his altitude compensator, and it had 3 connection contacts, not two like this plug has. I know on other cars I have worked on over the years, the factorys would use a harness that incorperates more than one option, and leave some connections with no function.
Perhaps a connector for a heated O2 sensor?
Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Need a bigger pic of engine compartment/ engine !

Cold start injector ?

Auxiliary air flow valve ? IDK without a decent pic !

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
It looks like a Bosch connector, so some component of the FI.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,625 Posts
Yeah, it's Bosch, but it's not the ECU side. I'm guessing heater plug for the oxygen sensor.

I think the '83 only used a one-wire sensor. If someone replaced it with a three-wire, you'd have this connector from it with nowhere to go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I put my test light on it with the key on. There is power at one of the contacts, I assume the other contact is ground? All the other injection components on the engine have something hooked up to them.
My guess its power for a three wire O2 sensor, I also have the green wire with the male end that goes to an O2 sensor.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I was going to guess O2 sensor when I first saw it, it is on the passenger side?

Kevin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes..more toward the center, maybe slightly right. The green wire for the O2 sensor is very near to it. But I always thought a heated O2 sensor had one plug with three wires.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Early era heated sensor cars got 2 plugs.
The green wire w/orange connector for the sensor signal and a seperate two wire connector for the heater element.

Basically getting the heating circut in there was just a piggyback onto the exisiting harness system until such time as later generations either incorporated a three wire connector or even a wideband setup with its multitude of wires when a large amount of harness revision beyond just one sensor was neccisary. (not neccisarily Alfa specific, but O2 sensor equipped cars in general)

That being said though, even some current model new cars still have a two connection setup when a narrowband heated sensor is used.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Both my '86 GTV6 and all my Milano's have had the two connector setup. One is a Bosch connector just like in the pic and the other is more of a rubber boot type with a single spade connector in it (the green wire).

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts