Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
549 Posts
I'm guessing that "oil prime" is to create a "p-trap" or drain trap and a little bit of a "seal" or one-way check valve so that crankcase vapors don't try to come up that drain line after the system is freshly cleaned out. Thus encouraging the crankcase vapors to circulate in the correct direction.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
WEEKEND UPDATE 3.1 NEW PRICING AND BOSCH AVAILABILITY

After 3 weeks of production on almost 40 units, I now have a pretty good idea this is not a golden goose. My passion remains high and the product raw materials channels have been ironed out so I am shipping within 48 hours of an order. That's the good news! The bad news is I need some relief on my costs which unexpectedly bumped me like on some key items and I have had a chance to catch my breathe on what is going out and what is coming in ($$$).... and my wife wants her husband and counter tops and dining room table and kitchen table BACK! You see, I do not farm out ANYTHING! You are dealing with the manufacturer, PA, shipper, designer, and quality assurance guy, customer service/satisfaction and quality checker of raw materials and the beauty of the product is you actually see what is INSIDE the unit. Each unit is sized and pre-assembled dry for fit and finish. It's ME who has to stand behind the product and it's me who you deal with and is responsible for what you are buying, not someone in China or Uzbekistan if you have any issue with the product and we haven't had ONE single complaint, you know where you will get actual customer service and not a recording.

Back to pricing.. I will honor all orders PAID by Paypal IN FULL on my receipt of $110.50 for US and $120.Canada if I receive that payment by the end of Saturday (EDT) July 11, 2020 and all checks received by Monday's post ( MY POST delivery), July 13.

Effective Sunday, July 12, 2020..ALL ORDERS FOR THE USA will be $120 SHIPPED US Postal PRIORITY regardless of your geography.....Canada $130

Yes, it is true that I make a little scratch on localized shipments but this simplifies the cost to you either way and I always find SIMPLICITY trumps nickels and dimes in the end.

Refresher: My E-mail and PP are RLESN at comcast dot net

Mail address Richard J. Lesniewicz 1500 Old Post Road Marstons Mills MA 02648

Final note .. Canada.. you are NOT the 51st state.. I'm glad you aren't because these days i need options. One order to Montreal took 18 days to deliver. Customs looks with a jaundiced eye at anything metallic and what it's intent is. Welcome to the new world of border crossings.

and BOSCH.....The BOSCH Unit has two mods from the SPICA... The mounting bracket is unique and is reuseable with mechanical fastening to the body of the unit .. and the downdraft pipe has a 90 Degree mitered ELL. I will provide this unit at the same price and enough downdraft pipe for the BUYER to miter the corner and solder it together.

Thanks for all the support and orders. i would love to hear more personal stories of your experiences with the new OVS!.. Rick

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a chance to visit Rick's "OVS Factory". Yes, it is on the kitchen table. The raw material, personalized care, passion and effort he puts into each and every unit is as good as it gets. He is passionate about Alfas and cares that each customer is satisfied. In my opinion his new price is still a bargain, more like a token fee. Every Alfa owner should have one of these kits on hand.....you will need it!!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I had a chance to visit Rick's "OVS Factory". Yes, it is on the kitchen table. The raw material, personalized care, passion and effort he puts into each and every unit is as good as it gets. He is passionate about Alfas and cares that each customer is satisfied. In my opinion his new price is still a bargain, more like a token fee. Every Alfa owner should have one of these kits on hand.....you will need it!!
i take that as the highest compliment coming from a Pratt & Whitney jet engine engineer!!!!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
It "gushed" back because the line was restricted,,,It's nothing more than a long soda straw.
I took the line off of the dipstick tube and it gushed out clean oil so no clog there. Ran a q-tip into the nipple and no clog there either. Found that I had to push the filler into the hose firmly if I didn't want the oil coming back out.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Did it run clean from the entry entry point at the OVS? Most blockages are at the first horizontal turn to under the radiator, about a foot from the OVS.. You should be able o blow 20-30 PSI air through the whole hose from start to finish...OVS (disconnected) to dipstick exit.(disconnected)

·
Registered
105 Posts
After searching for a solution to badly corroded and ineffective OVS I came up with one that is SOLID BRASS... No more plugged lines: rotted out internals; you can't see; ineffectual clean-outs; perforated original units; blow-by in the injection intake. I came up with a unit that is a direct replacement for the OEM using their design technology with superior materials.

My design had simple criteria 1) It had to look outwardly as close to original as possible with possibly a better finish 2) It could not corrode internally or externally 3) it had to fit on the OEM bracket 4) It had to use coalescing media that was not steel wool and non-corrosive 5) It had to be one material and non-corrosive metallic.. not plastic.6) It had to have ease of assembly with readily available hand tools 7) It perform as expected based on the design criteria of the OEM unit. 8) I am not an engineer but the essence of the assembly mirrors the design of the original and there are many many designs far more basic that work in the field on many different applications 9) Assembly would be by solder OR JB Weld (or equal) 10) It should have a clean out provision on TOP and bottom of the unit. 11) The customer can fab his own unit for Bosch or Spica and have the material to do either.11) The unit will be designed for all the typical Spider and GT applications .. not GTV 6 or others. 12) All stages of assembly should show photographically all internals.. .. full disclosure of what makes it work.

Now that I have assembled one, I am prepared to share the components as a kit that will include all PRE-CUT and sized hardware with an illustrated ( with photos) Step-by-Step assembly process, solder and flux specs, and a list and procedures I experienced to assemble mine. This is a weekend project for anyone who is a DYer The kit is available for shipping NOW.. no waiting. Alfa people are DIYer's .. we know the lengths they go to fix or repair their cars.This kit is a simple assembly operation that is an easy weekend project from start to finish. IF I CAN DO IT ..YOU CAN DO IT and the only soldering i had done previously was soldering a spade connector to a wire. You can use it as a bare metal unit or paint it to your desired finish. The kit will be offered at $95 + Flat rate shipping Priority shipping in the US and appropriate freight elsewhere. My finished product weighs 1 lb 3 oz's . The outer case is .065 seamless drawn brass tube and the inner tube is .032.. Check the Parts for Sale forum for more info. Attached are photos that should bring what I am saying to life. I accept PM's if you have further questions and an E-mail will give more photos of the internals and diagrams of what has been chronicled as the RUST and failure rate takes it's toll on existing units.
When i saw the Ad in AONE, I did not need to think, rationalize or delay. I ordered two, one for my 69 1750 Spider and one for the 73 GTV. I received them Friday, built one Friday evening and completed it, installed into the GTV , painted , Saturday AM. Pix attached, the process went smoothly, used a little sheet runner to fit the OVS to the mounting better and all good, no leaks so far. Also, attached pic of the original with rust particulates!
IMG_9053.JPG
IMG_9052.JPG
IMG_9051.JPG

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks Jonathon! Jon has the two Alfas, a Fulvia, a 308, and a Porsche 911.. In his spare time he is
Area Manager AfterSales-Technical at Lamborghini America
Nice to be associated with such expertise and a person who knows how important this item is under your hood from a technical stand-point .. Well Done on the most accurate installation I have seen to date!
Happy miles ahead for sure! BTW AONE is the Alfa Owners of New England .. the local chapter of the National Club.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Jonathon! Jon has the two Alfas, a Fulvia, a 308, and a Porsche 911.. In his spare time he is
Area Manager AfterSales-Technical at Lamborghini America
Nice to be associated with such expertise and a person who knows how important this item is under your hood from a technical stand-point .. Well Done on the most accurate installation I have seen to date!
Happy miles ahead for sure! BTW AONE is the Alfa Owners of New England .. the local chapter of the National Club.
Well, i built the second one over the last day and actually executed a water test, held perfectly, on to the paint phase!

·
Registered
'84 GTV6, '73 Spider Project, '71 Norton Commando
8 Posts
Ordered and PayPal payment sent this evening for qty 1 of the OVSeparators. Part of a long term project, so no rush to ship.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
There to separate the vaporized oil out of the the crank case blow by. So that the oil isn't run through the intake and burn causing more pollution.

·
Registered
135 Posts
“Proof of life” or, I should say, delivery. ;)

Only a little disappointed that the crossword was already completed in the newspaper used to pack it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Can we dispense with these? What is their function?
thank you
“Proof of life” or, I should say, delivery. ;)

Only a little disappointed that the crossword was already completed in the newspaper used to pack it.

I've upgraded to the Sunday NY Times puzzle and that is completed... Was yours the one we got the fresh cod in?

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Can we dispense with these? What is their function?
thank you
I think by the failure rate and the ignoring they need to be visited bears witness they are necessary ... but neither are oil changes ,, tune-ups, valve adjustments, et al that goes with owning a vehicle ..Your question on the function? Well I guess you missed that part of the syllabus .we've been chatting about. This might help... PS it's more than a "green"thing.. It's about automotive technology built into your car to make it perform at the tip-top range. Air/Oil Separator: Why Direct Injection Makes Them A Must

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
There to separate the vaporized oil out of the the crank case blow by. So that the oil isn't run through the intake and burn causing more pollution.
Jim,

Thanks, so my old air filter with a hose connection for connecting into the valve cover is obsolete?

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Depends on what setup your using.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Twin Weber carbs with old stamped steel air filter. Hose fits between air filter and valve cover. Probably a setup from the 60's I assume. Engine runs fine, with the exception of poor fuel mileage.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Carb'ed cars fed blow- by into the filter with oil in the mix and it entered the intakes before the butterflies and the valves diluted by gas,,,In a FI car the fuel in introduced after the butterflies and valves directly into the combustion chamber so the manufacturers tried to minimize oil introduction for obvious reasons.because the oil introduction wasn't diluted in the mix unless they routed the oil contaminants back to the sump where it came from.. That is not to say a carb'ed car wouldn't benefit from a cleaner.. fuel air mix but in the day it wasn't a consideration Snce there was no collection system to capture the oil or route it back to the sump, they routed it to the filter oil and all. The earlier cars just dumped the oil on the ground through a road draft tube.at the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
All of my Alfas have dumped oil onto the ground whether intentionally or not. ;)

My car’s PO (an industrial plumbing engineer) decided on the following method, which I believe retains most of the OVS’s purpose while on a carb setup:
  • cam cover to air filter (on t’ed fitting) for water vapor to escape through
  • hose continues to OVS
  • oil and water vapor separated and mitigated
  • any oil collection fed back through vacuum nipple to dipstick
  • air return and oil nipple are capped
I think the idea was that any oil that makes its way through the media and draft tube would then return to the dipstick via the vacuum nipple. I may decide to drain oil out of both the oil nipple and draft tube while capping the vacuum tube so as to use gravity to make sure oil isn’t just sitting in the OVS cooking up pollution.

Thoughts?

81 - 100 of 116 Posts