Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
First Impressions

JIm G has provided above much more detail of the kit and description of the assembly process, but I’ll post my impressions, being one of the early recipients. First of all, this is a beautiful collection of metal pieces (my wife the artist is admiring them). All needed parts are there, along with three pages of instructions and two illustrations. The wall thickness of the outer main-body tube is about 0.070” – this thing when assembled will be built like a brass sh*t house. A small amount of metal work is required: drilling a hole in the center tube for the small pipe nipple, and filing the already-cut hole in the outer tube for the large pipe nipple, to achieve a precise fit (solder doesn’t like to fill gaps). I will also de-burr everything, though that may not be strictly necessary. The brass mesh coalescing medium is already wound and assembled into its housing, so I don’t have to mess with that.
View attachment 1636689

The instructions include detailed recommendations for a torch, solder, and flux to use. Also included are two wooden dowels to hold pieces to together while soldering, for those of us without a heat-proof third hand. Richard has been very responsive about answering questions by email, and has already provided an updated set of instructions. He has also since made a late-breaking design change on the removable plug at the top; it is now a replaceable hollow rubber plug with a rivet inside:

View attachment 1636692 View attachment 1636694

The only other point I can think of is that the diameter of the main body tube is about 0.100” smaller than the stock unit, so Richard recommends small rubber pads to take up the gap in the mounting bracket clamp. As mentioned in the thread, I have several other projects ahead of this in my queue so won’t be able to verify assembly and function any time soon. (Though if I need a diversion from cleaning 50-year-old grime from suspension parts, I may go ahead and assemble it sooner. We’ll see.)

My original plan was to paint it black when done to look more stock, but now am thinking maybe leave it polished brass.

All in all I’m happy with the purchase, and think it’s a great creative solution for an NLA part.
Sir, may I please be placed in the queue? I find this alternative fascinating and groundbreaking....and a work of art, to say the least...am still wondering if it'll be painted AR119, or polished brass? Thank you again for your engineering and passion for all Alfisti.

Eddie Gerlach
Tampa, FL
You are very kind.. It's Rick...you are in the queue and I am waiting for RIVETS which I expect this week so we should be on a one week lead time time.by Monday. I'm pretty passionate about the product and what it will do to make ownership better.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
A WINDOW TO YOUR OVS-- I had a break in production so I dismembered a BOSCH car OVS. A friend gave it to me and the car had been off the road for years .. no solvent in it either.. I cut two windows in it , careful not to disturb the innards. The photos tell the story.. This latest experiment showed the Bosch unit in better shape than my '73 Spider unit which had more garbage and the dome of my media chamber was completely dissolved rendering it useless... The Bosch unit was on borrowed time and would clog a return line in short order for sure, The "crusties" in the photos would flake off and settle... the media was also, partially, if not all restricted thus reducing it's effectiveness of separating the oil. I can re-engineer a the Bosch unit just like the SPICA unit kit
IMG_6517.JPG
IMG_6517.JPG
IMG_6521.JPG
IMG_6522.JPG
IMG_6523.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6527.JPG
IMG_6528.JPG
IMG_6529.JPG
.. It would require you to Dremel off the 4 spot welds on yours that hold the bracket on and to reattach it by whatever means you see fit.. Inquire on price and availability. Thanks Rick

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Please add me to the queue for two. Thanks!!

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
95 Posts
Papajam is, and will always be, with us in spirit. There wasn't anyone on this BB that he didn't help, teach, instruct or mentor. He would have LOVED this.....

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
MY PAYPAL IS --- RLESN at COMCAST dot NET
WEEKEND UPDATE (2) We are in full production and over the hump on raw materials. All the orders that are in up until this point are covered and more with stock and materials on hand. Expect anyone who has an order in up until this point to have their kit in their hands in the next 10-14 days. I am piece-mealing out messages to those in the queue when to pay and they should expect a turnaround of 24 to 48 hours for their shipment to go out. All will be shipped USPS and that has been the least sensitive to broken delivery promises during the virus surge in traffic and lost air traffic which influences deliveries. .. Stay tuned. The only delay now is a cool upgraded lid inspection port plug I came upon only yesterday that might delay a few shipments until the end of the week. It's a small item but critical to the package but it will work great and I just ordered the parts this morning from Michigan.. (I'm in Massachusetts). Amazingly, I have spent more time researching a PLUG that works than just about any other component on the unit. The 4th is a Sat. so it shouldn't hurt the delivery traffic and timeliness of your receiving your kits. If you have already paid just be aware this item is the only thing holding up your package because I just received proto-types in the mail yesterday afternoon.... but worth the few days wait. . I'm very optimistic about the prospects of the kit being accepted in the community as the BEST solution to a nagging, unsolved alternative to solving the problem posed by failure of OVS's. and a fun learning experience. I expect there will be reports coming in soon from folks who are trialing the kit.
WEEKEND UPDATE (3) The wait time is officially OVER! As of today I will have shipped 22 fresh units. IF YOU HAVE PAID, YOUR UNIT IS IN PRIORITY MAIL AS OF THIS MORNING AND TRACKING WILL BE IN HAND IF THERE IS A NEED FOR IT.. Those in the queue who have committed may now make their payment as per post #54. Crackie, Bobcor, Onelunger61, ALFASPDERMAN 84, JohnnyGold, guillotineF1, pennzo, rkirkpatrick--ALL YOU GUYS I HAVE YOUR PACKAGE AND THEY WILL GO OUT THIS WEEK. Include your address with payment
All re-designed plug components are also in the mail to Logan, Wag's, Al, Scooter, and Franco .. Thanks for your patience.. I'm driving around on mine and the engine tells me it is much happier.. Thanks for your patience and support to keep this effort going. STAY SAFE AND WEAR A MASK. Rick

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
eXCELLENT! for those wondering about the cutout for the inlet I do that .. It's a wee bit of trial fitting that top inlet pipe and a file to make 'em kiss just right. i left mine as yours but jim G wire wheeled off all the excess slag .. harms nothing on the unit .. just takes a away the human side of a craft. thanks Steve.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Tech tip-- Alfa Romeo issued a tech note in the day to prime the crossover line to the sump if it was cleaned or replaced. The notes say to priime it with "20 ML of engine oil".. What is that you ask? Go down to your local RX store and ask the pharmacist for a a "pet syringe" the kind to administer drugs to your pet..He or she will GIVE you this and you use it to administer oil to your Alpha Romero's cross over line to the dipstick.
IMG_6558.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
He or she will GIVE you this and you use it to administer oil to your Alpha Romero's cross over line to the dipstick.
All these years as an Alfa owner and you still spell it Alpha. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ragnomaniac

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used this on my Spyder to prime the oil return line. ;)

Performance Tool Pistol Oiler

You’ll find that a good seal while injecting the oil is required because of back pressure in the tube. The oil just gushed back out when I tried to “drip” it in the opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I used this on my Spyder to prime the oil return line. ;)

Performance Tool Pistol Oiler

You’ll find that a good seal while injecting the oil is required because of back pressure in the tube. The oil just gushed back out when I tried to “drip” it in the opening.

It "gushed" back because the line was restricted,,,It's nothing more than a long soda straw.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ah, duh. I’ll try to clear it out tomorrow.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts