Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After searching for a solution to badly corroded and ineffective OVS I came up with one that is SOLID BRASS... No more plugged lines: rotted out internals; you can't see; ineffectual clean-outs; perforated original units; blow-by in the injection intake. I came up with a unit that is a direct replacement for the OEM using their design technology with superior materials.

My design had simple criteria 1) It had to look outwardly as close to original as possible with possibly a better finish 2) It could not corrode internally or externally 3) it had to fit on the OEM bracket 4) It had to use coalescing media that was not steel wool and non-corrosive 5) It had to be one material and non-corrosive metallic.. not plastic.6) It had to have ease of assembly with readily available hand tools 7) It perform as expected based on the design criteria of the OEM unit. 8) I am not an engineer but the essence of the assembly mirrors the design of the original and there are many many designs far more basic that work in the field on many different applications 9) Assembly would be by solder OR JB Weld (or equal) 10) It should have a clean out provision on TOP and bottom of the unit. 11) The customer can fab his own unit for Bosch or Spica and have the material to do either.11) The unit will be designed for all the typical Spider and GT applications .. not GTV 6 or others. 12) All stages of assembly should show photographically all internals.. .. full disclosure of what makes it work.

Now that I have assembled one, I am prepared to share the components as a kit that will include all PRE-CUT and sized hardware with an illustrated ( with photos) Step-by-Step assembly process, solder and flux specs, and a list and procedures I experienced to assemble mine. This is a weekend project for anyone who is a DYer The kit is available for shipping NOW.. no waiting. Alfa people are DIYer's .. we know the lengths they go to fix or repair their cars.This kit is a simple assembly operation that is an easy weekend project from start to finish. IF I CAN DO IT ..YOU CAN DO IT and the only soldering i had done previously was soldering a spade connector to a wire. You can use it as a bare metal unit or paint it to your desired finish. The kit will be offered at $95 + Flat rate shipping Priority shipping in the US and appropriate freight elsewhere. My finished product weighs 1 lb 3 oz's . The outer case is .065 seamless drawn brass tube and the inner tube is .032.. Check the Parts for Sale forum for more info. Attached are photos that should bring what I am saying to life. I accept PM's if you have further questions and an E-mail will give more photos of the internals and diagrams of what has been chronicled as the RUST and failure rate takes it's toll on existing units.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations Richard! This is an amazing undertaking, and a great solution to a problem that we all face. I for one, know that my OVS is causing me a bunch of issues. I will PM you. From a Canadian Alfo brother, THANK YOU!!!. Awesome work.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations Richard! This is an amazing undertaking, and a great solution to a problem that we all face. I for one, know that my OVS is causing me a bunch of issues. I will PM you. From a Canadian Alfo brother, THANK YOU!!!. Awesome work.
For my Canadian brethren the freight and handing is US $20

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is a diagram of the original design and how bare carbon steel dissolves when oil, combustion water vapor, and acids in blow-by gases effect your existing OEM 40+ year old OVS. The "pin-hole phenomenon" is particularly interesting. I equate it to a "spot" on your lung when diagnosed with cancer. My old unit had one or two pin holes until I removed the paint and found over a dozen, from top to bottom. That's when I knew I was in trouble. Attached are a before and after diagram of the unit internals and how they work... AND FAIL. The domed roof of the media chamber is the first to disintegrate from my observation and when that happens the oil coalescing function is totally impaired.
001.jpg
002.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
!WoW! Impressive! This is a better solution! Maybe now we will get to see fewer threads about holed out separators!
Wonder if it would work as a very small batch still?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some added photos on the internal components and how they fit together. There is no soldering or JB Weld on any of the coalescing media.
3 pieces to solder.JPG
Mock up.JPG
Top of Top Media chamber.JPG
Top with pilot.JPG

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have sold THREE units today..... In fairness to the audience, I have materials to send out many more BUT.....I think it would be prudent to ask the three customers to publicly comment on the product and assembly process before I ship any more.. I want the public to have confidence that it is as easy as i say it is to assemble. SOOOOO.. I am shipping to the three customers and will await feedback before i ship more. This will not mean I am not taking orders.. Hold your finger on the Paypal button until I ship but put your name in the queue, please..You can be sure your order will be ready to roll as soon as WE get feedback and I would encourage those three customers to comment positively or constructively and whether or not I have over-promised . i hope that suits you folks. We are open to give you a great experience and value far exceeding the investment. Thank you. U.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,178 Posts

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well one of the three is going to put his on the shelf for a while.. That's understandable ..we all do it. so I'm open forr another fresh customer who wants to assemble and install pronto. thanks all

·
Premium Member
4,726 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
1978 Spider 1984 Spider
456 Posts
I'm going to assume the screws are to retain the brass mesh when the "domed" chamber is inverted since it appears to be open below the mesh?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to assume the screws are to retain the brass mesh when the "domed" chamber is inverted since it appears to be open below the mesh?
Very goodly!!! The three screws are sheet metal (#6) and penetrate the media which is wound on the center draft tube. They do not touch the center draft tube. It's pretty tight but dimpled to enhance the spacing between plys... It is 1 1/4" deep ( vertically ) , the same depth as the original with a 1/4" space above it in the chamber before the dome goes on which is soldered in place. The center draft tube is floating in the media, up and down until the final soldering of the it passing through the bottom oil collector. Once the colletor and draft tube are soldered they are fixed for never more.and the draft tube at the top sits just proud of the media. It's all in my instructions how that works to be.. Pretty simple...

Back to the media.. It is 3 feet long and perforated.. It is a whole lot of surface area for coalescence of the oil... Some OVS designs have a thin membrane cylinder. The one design of mine mirrors the original except they used a corrugated or pleated roll up design. Impossible to find in this world. Mine is a helluva better concept than steel wool which others have used in the past. and it is one of the most costly items.

I put the screws is so that the media stays put and is idiot and user proof... There will be those who want to shake and bake it like a bartender mixing a ****tail. IT IS SECURE....and thanks for asking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Rick! Awesome job designing and building this durable device! I’ll take one and try to build it in the next couple weeks. Thanks again for helping our community keep our cars functioning as designed!!
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Richard, I would also like to purchase one of your OVS's. I tried to order on your link in "parts for sale" but it did not work for me. My email is [email protected]. I do PayPal. Please send me your invoice.
Thanks great work.
Mike
Alaskan Alfa

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ALERT!!! SHIPPING ..I DIDN'T SPELL IT OUT IN MY POST #1 .... "The kit will be offered at $95 + Flat rate shipping Priority shipping in the US and appropriate freight elsewhere. " ... I will accept all prior payments up through today prior to this post , as final payment..Thanks guys!

So to make things easy .....1) if you pay with Paypal kindly send it to a "friend"..2) If you are paying with Paypal without a "kitty" .. please add the charges I have to absorb. I think it is like 5% for bank or credit card...3) If you aren't sure .. I accept personal checks to Richard Lesniewicz 1500 Old Post Road Marstons Mills MA 02648 as a follow up to your order placed, when I notify you your order is ready for post...4) Please don't PAY until I ALERT you your order is ready to ship. 5) ALL US orders will be $95 + $15,50 FLAT RATE PRIORITY regardless of where you ARE and what package or service it arrives in......Canada is US$95 + US$ 20 for all posts north of the border< COAST TO COAST. Tracking will be monitored and only used if the order is late. Thanks guys again.. I hope that makes everything easier and more straight forward and defined. as the interest and orders caught me little flat footed on this subject. .We are gearing up! I'll add the shipping to my For Sale forum post .

1 - 20 of 86 Posts