Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also have some acquaintances at the upper end of the scale - all quite sensible with their money too. Pain? I feel only referred pain, for everyone who can no longer afford an Otto Vu. :D My pain is trying budget the restoration of two cars, when prices reflect that car restoration has become an industry in itself (due the the change of car design ethos, rather than poseurs).

In regard to your pictures, all 8V's are stunning. The Supersonic is the top of the heap.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I actually do like ther silver/ red roof vignale - Quite stunning in the usual, "not pretty but something" way - Perhaps the grille could have been resolved a tad more elegantly? The Demon Rouge clearly earned its reputation for being infamous ... The red ones look a bit bland to my eye (Same as the Zagato 8V convertible). However, I would gladly take any of them.

By the way, all are attributed to Vignale (All Michelotti?), except the silver Ghia - Which I believe is Sydorik's car at Villa d'Este.

·
Registered
537 Posts
hi there..
yes, all the Vignale cars are Michelotti designs.. But the SUPERSONIC is a design benchmark and of the most glamourous cars of all time..

N

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've always thought that the Demon Rouge was a really silly looking automobile until I saw it in person at Pebble Beach in 2002. That's when I realized that it's a really ludicrous looking automobile. Did you notice the translucent blue roof panels? And the funny little running(?) lights up on the front corners of the roof?
Oh well, whatever blows your skirt up.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Some years ago the Blackhawk museum had 10 8V's on display.(almost 10% of the total made) My favorites are the Zagato's but Vignale made some pretty ones too, especially the convertibles. While the Supersonico is stunning design I don't think it's as elegant as the Zagato's. There are many Zagato designs I don't care for but they really got it right with the 8V.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Some years ago the Blackhawk museum had 10 8V's on display.(almost 10% of the total made) My favorites are the Zagato's but Vignale made some pretty ones too, especially the convertibles. While the Supersonico is stunning design I don't think it's as elegant as the Zagato's. There are many Zagato designs I don't care for but they really got it right with the 8V.
I agree wholeheartedly- especially the 5 or 6 "double bubble" versions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I do believe I would probably sell my soul for this particular double bubble. Zagatos are just so beautiful.
I'm not a fan of Fly Yellow. That car was restored by Patrick Ottis and he applied several Ferrari signatures like the paint and the black wrinkle dash.
I prefer the ex-Elio Zagato car- silver with red darts on the fenders, #084.

If I knew how to post photos I would, but, C'est La Vie.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The red and black is the infamous Demon Rouge- a truly bizarre concoction.
At the 1954 Salone dell'Automobile in Turin the "Demon Rouge" shared the stand with the "Raggio Azzurro" a Nardi car based on Lancia B20 parts, also bodied by Vignale and designed by Michelotti. This car too has some outlandish features but comes together much better than the "Demon Rouge".

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not a fan of Fly Yellow. That car was restored by Patrick Ottis and he applied several Ferrari signatures like the paint and the black wrinkle dash.
I prefer the ex-Elio Zagato car- silver with red darts on the fenders, #084.

If I knew how to post photos I would, but, C'est La Vie.
You have good taste.

I have weakness for yellow. I painted my 1969 Fiat 124 Spider giallo positano.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You have good taste.

I have weakness for yellow. I painted my 1969 Fiat 124 Spider giallo positano.
Ah but giallo positano is a far better color than fly yellow. However the fly yellow Zagato has nicer lines than the green one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The green one is a Zagato "Elaborata" i.e. a modification of an original Fiat bodied berlinetta. I think Zagato made 4 or 6 8V Elaboratas. I think that one belongs to Scott Gauthier.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts