Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Great car congratulations !! I'm curious if anyone knows how many 208's were made and if any were grey market imported to the USA?
enjoy that dino and thanks for sharing it with us!!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
series1gtv said:
Great car congratulations !! I'm curious if anyone knows how many 208's were made and if any were grey market imported to the USA?
enjoy that dino and thanks for sharing it with us!!
Jeff
Not sure how many 208's were brought over. I've only seen one. Here is a 208 belonging to one of our customers.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
There's one about fifteen minutes north of here. I'll try to get a picture of it Saturday and post it up. It's blue, like the one David Driver posted earlier in this thread. The guy also owns a red Ferrari 308.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This one will probably be Azzure too. soon enough But that's down the list on priorities right now.

1. Drain the trans and put new fluid, to protect the bad synchro.
2. Check all the fuel lines for any leaks.
3. Buy my wife a nice 164 (which I was "supposed" :p to do first!)
4. Sell my spider:rolleyes: to pay for all of this maddness!

Make that 4. then 3. :eek:

Anyone looking for a well sorted-out Spider 2.0?

Re: fuel lines. After watching a video on video.google of a yellow GTS catching fire while being filled-up, and then seeing a new HRE on Hwy5 near Pyramid Lake (on the way home) engulfed in flames, I feel like God may be speaking to me, "Check the fuel lines David.... check the fuel lines....".

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
congratulations, it must be great to own a Ferrari. It sure is one of my dreams....I was very close to adding a 308GTS to my stable last year, but then I bought a second home and a boat....one day though:D
Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thank you Peter. It "is" great. And fun too

Especially since I just found the previous owner, who sold the car (at a little over 80,000 miles) to the guy I bought it from (at 81,400 miles) who said he only drove it a few hundred miles. And I put about 800 miles on it this last weekend.

And what's even better, is that I just found out the engine had a complete rebuild just 2yrs ago, and between 2000-2500 miles ago, by Valtellina Automobili, in Sausolito, CA.

It wasn't just a deal.... It was a steal!:D Whoopie!!!!

Say, does anybody know what the break-in period sould be for this engine?

Anthony?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Is it hard to source euro bumpers for this Ferrari?

Looks like a really good find!

One day i will own a Ferrari... one day!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
mdc,

Thank you. Need a kleenex?

Please! Please! Not over the car! I just had it color sanded!

GCL,

Thank you too.

Yes. EVERYthing is hard to find. And everything is expensive too.

I'm so used to my Alfa.

=========================================

I still like my Alfa though. Interestingly enough, I'm finding myself enjoying it even more, since buying the Ferrari. Not because it performs so well. Which it does, in it's "own" way.

But I'm enjoying it, because I'm no longer trying to push it beyond what it's really designed to do. It's fast enough. Not nearly as fast ast he Ferrari. Doesn't handle the same either.

But I'm finding that toodling slowly along Mulholland Drive here in the Hollywood Hills, is much more relaxing and enjoyable.

I'm even taking time to take-in the view!

It's funny how one super performing car can make you appreciate the smaller sibling even more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Okay, I've gone and done it.

And I know several of you have already seen it, so please pardon the shameless promotion.

The spider is for sale on craigslist.

Here's the post in the WTB forum:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=25521

The link to craigslist is at the top of the thread.

Thanks. David.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, it's been awhile since I've posted here and I thought I'd share an update on the Dino.

After finding out that the engine had been rebuilt, I pulled it to replace the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros with new ones. After sitting and looking at the transmission though, I decided I wanted a receipt to match the engine rebuild. So I took it to my friend Eric at Auto Gallery to be re-assembled.

Eric told me the gears were too worn to be assembled. Lot's of guys like to rev these cars w/o properly warming them up. And inside the Ferrari gearbox, "everything" moves, even in neutral. So over the years, the hard-metal had worn through to the soft metal on several gears, and it made for a lot of play in the gearbox. So that $2,500 rebuild just turned into $4,500.

And before I put it all back together, I decided it was time to get rid of the rust and give it a fresh coat of paint.

So........ :rolleyes: that "original" red? Not so! :eek: Heritage certificate says Blu Dino Met... So guess what color :D it's going to be!

Wah-Hoo!!!

Here are some recent pictures taken at Bristol, a new shop in Chatsworth, specializing in Italian cars.

First picture is some of the original blue we found

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wow! Has it really been 13 years since I posted in this thread?
So the Dino is back in my garage waiting to get put together. I just haven't had the time.

But I recently bought a '75 spider 2 months ago (I sold my '84 to complete a remodel on a home I bought), to replace my '84 and after a couple of weeks driving it, it developed a coolant leak from the back of the timing-chain cover. So I just pulled the motor today and am going to tear it down and make some upgrades.

I just pulled the motor, not the trans. I read some threads that suggested doing both and then talked with Anthony (italincarguy) and decided to just pull the motor. I may regret that when it comes to putting it back-in--by myself--but, we'll see.

Here are a couple of pics.

It has a hardtop and original A/C from 1975.
The "boss" demanded both the A/C and a hardtop.
It's nothing short of amazing that I found one with both!

The retro A/C vent is just barely visible under the glovebox door:

...and look what I found in the glove box!

Here's the coolant leak:

Where it's coming from:

So it needed to come out:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts