Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Very nice!!! I'm familiar with them in that my buddy has one. I believe they come in two displacements (they escape me at the moment)(308 & 348???)... He has the larger and has done the electronic ignition mods as well as get rid of the VERY heavy original exhaust system.

Enjoy
Sprintn

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

If it runs as nice as it looks;) , I'll be a very happy camper:D .

If it doesn't... :rolleyes:

I'll be stuck :eek: somewhere on Hwy 5 in Central California!

·
Registered
165 Posts
excellent!

this is one of my favourite ferrari's let me know how it works out for you ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow, it looks like it still has the Dino badging. It seems like a lot of early 308GT4s have had prancing horses plastered all over them.

Please do post about your experiences with it. I've read lots of good things about them; it would be interesting to get the perspective of an Alfisti making the leap (or taking the plunge, if you prefer).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all!

Sprintin: Yes. There was the 208 and the 308. 2.0L and 3.0L respectively. I read somewhere that the 208 is the smallest V8 ever produced. I don't know how true that is, but it sure seems plausable.

Anthony: 1975. So I took your adivce and got a carb'd version. I just wanted a little more room for luggage, and opted for the GT4 instead. I don't know how loud the GT4 is. But hopefully some dynamat will give me more relief for my failing ears. I already tried a Mondial coupe (the one for $15K in Burbank) and found it quieter than my spider. So that was my benchmark. Jerry opted for a Mondial cabriolet. He got a red '88 with 18K miles for $32K, and then your dad had to replace the clutch and some front bushings. Perhaps you saw it in the shop? It's a beauty. But WAY TOO LOUD for me.

The only problem is that my "Stable" only has one stall. So if this car works for me, I'll be selling the Alfa. If not, I'll sell the GT4 and start looking again for a Mondial coupe, since I know it's quiet enough for me inside.

It's just had a full service in Medford, Oregon, two weeks ago. The current owner also owns the Toyota dealership up there. I'll be driving it back on Saturday. So I'll take my camera, and post some pictuers of my adventure when I get back.

"The first a'rule of Italian driving: Whas'sa behind me, is'a not importante!"

Arrivederci!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Best of luck bringing her down from Oregon. Take a good radar detector. Interstate 5 S-bound has a lot of speed traps. Be careful as you come through Sacramento near Sutterville road. Smokey sits on the overpass radaring folks as they pass underneath. Many other sneaky spots further north.

Looks like an awesome find you have there. If your ears are failing, why is noise an issue? You can always turn up the Alpine stereo. Those 6.5 inch ADS speakers should be loud enough to drown out the sirens.:D Come on admit it you have an amp tucked away in there somewhere too. In the boot? under the seat? hmmm;) Admit it! You bought it forthe classic stereo components... BTW I'm still waiting for you to return the boombox you "liberated" from my garage.:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, sweet find. Tell us how it goes when you get her down to SoCal. Enjoy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GD,

Sutterville Rd. huh? That's North of Sacramento? Thanks. I'll keep a lookout for it. I know there are a LOT of traps coming over the hill near Shasta. We saw those when my friend Jerry (who registered his Mondial in Medford) and I drove back over Easter weekend.

Those are ADS speakers? Are those good ones? Oh boy!

Boombox? Oh.. yeah.. that! :D I'm still dancing! :p

Here's a pic of the boot and a close-up of the door (w/speaker) too. And another one just 'cause...

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Those are ADS speakers? Are those good ones? Oh boy!
Those are mid-late '80's vintage ADS 6.5 inch coaxials. During that time period, those were some of the best car audio speakers you could get. As long as they weren't abused (and looking at the car I'd say they weren't) they should still be excellent speakers. Those are better than much of the mass produced stuff coming from so called high-end companies...

Back in the day...ahem...I'm not that old I swear...those were considered "car audiophile" equipment. With what looks like a vintage Alpine headunit and a quality amp with at least 60 watts/channel you would have some nice sounds. Depends what you listen to though...:rolleyes:

Now all you need is a small sub and you'll be in audio heaven. Glorious Dino sound when you just want to revel in the glory of the cams. Or tight clean music that can overpowerr the engine, wind, and whining (from the passenger seat;) ), when you find yourself cruising the distance to Willow Springs to track it or cruising up PCH to "countyline":D

BTW, the "carousel" on Laurel Canyon heading down into Studio City should be taken @$$ out with plenty of opposite lock while grinning widely for the masses. Just be safe...you know make sure you don't break the basic speed law...:D

Beautiful new ride:cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GD,

Thank you for the info.

Re: Laurel Cyn. Yeah, that guy with the mosaic tile and glass block wall on right side of the last corner has replaced that wall at least a half-dozen times since I've lived in Studio City. Every time it rains, it seems someone forgets that there are two right hand curves before the final left one. And by the time you've managed to get through the last right hand one, your out of position for that last long left. They break loose, and crash into that wall.

I have the big brown wall across from Wilacre Park, at Fryman. Before they put in the left-turn lane, people used to try to pass on the curb-side right in front of my house. Real fun, when I'm trying to make the wide turn into my driveway! I've nearly been sideswiped many times. I still nearly get rearended at least once every 6-months or so. I put my blinker on at Fryman (200-300yards back) and slow way down. They still race up. Only once though, someone ran into the guy behind me. They had a lot of unkind words. All I do was smile and say, "I was going 25mph in a 35mph, to make the turn into my driveway. How fast did YOU come around that last corner? 50mph? Do the math. By-the-way, do you need me to call a cop for you, so you can fill out an accident report?".

That ususally shuts them up.

One guy died, hitting the telephone pole on my north driveway, the week before I moved into the house. Another guy in a pickup had the neighbors gate track go through (luckily) the passenger side of his windshield after hitting that same telephone pole a few years ago.

Last year, a guy drove off with one of my garbage cans (presumabley) attahced to the front of his blue Ford pickup, as he bounced along the side of the road, taking out the 35mph sign in the process. I was able to identify his vehicle from a large piece of his blinker that was left on the curb.

I was in my office and heard a loud "WHOMP-WHOMP!!!". I just thought it was a bigrig bouncing a trailer and paid little attention to it. It took a few hours for me to realize what I'd heard. I went to take the garbabe out, and all that was left of my garbage can was the axle and two wheels. The rest was gone. Completely gone! I even drove down the road to Carpenter, and couldn't find a trace of it!

Too fast. Too furious. I used to encourage the LAPD to sit in my driveway with the radar gun. But I think that makes it too easy for them, and the get bored. Or maybe it just generates too much work? Speaking of which.....

A red Ferrari? What am I thinking? What am I thinking?

·
Registered
91 Posts
A very beautifull Dino, my compliments.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Alfist,

Chasking,

Actually, I prefer black or blue or bronze. Here are a couple of pictures of one that is Azzure/Tan that I really really really like.

And as I understand it, the vast majority of the early Dino's were in fact, not red. Red was a rare color. And although most of the ones you see today are red, those are almost all re-sprays. This car is an original Dino badged car with original paint and original interior.

So I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. There is a little rust under the left tail light that will need to be repaired. If the car requires a re-spray, then what color? Should I change it to suit my taste? Or keep it as original as possible? I'm considering replacing the wheel caps with the proper Dino ones too. Hopefully the horn still says Dino.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
You're welcome.

Well...to be honest, i would keep it as original as possible.
If there has to be a new color, i would choose an original Dino-colour.

Saluti, Arjan.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Nice car. Red is most visible and is less likely to get hit. Maybe you need to install one of those flourescent orange triangles on the back like a tractor. :D

Perhaps you and the neighbors can petition the local government to post warning signs, reduce the speed limit around that corner or something like that. Be careful taking out the trash!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, what a ride! Just got back from Medford. So it passed the acid test.

And it's fast. Very very VERY fast. I've never driven anything as fast as this car before. The speedometer as very optimistic, when it works. Probably partly due to overly low profile (215/60x14) tires. And I didn't drive very fast anyway, coming home, because I wasn't very sure of the condition of the engine. And I couldn't get a clear answer on wether the timing belts have been changed yet. And so far only a verbal history. There may be more documentation, but I'm not counting on it.

It's a little rougher than I had hoped. A small dent on the nose, just to the right of the Dino badge. Right rear has a little ripple, probably from a parking lot. A lot of little red touch-ups, (original paint, what d'ya expect?) and some cracks here and there, in corners and such. The bumpers are severly cracked on the ends, which I couldn't really see from the pics. And a little more rust than the ad said, but not too bad. The seats and headliner however are in really good shape. Especially considering the age of the vehicle. Third gear syncro is gone. I can shift into 3rd at 2200-3000RPM, anything beyond that and it's a ka-chunk. If you miss the gear, "forget it". Just go to 4th instead. And you cannot downshift into 3rd at all.

$15,500 for the car... $2,200 (as I recall) for a rebuild on a trans. So I'm happy. All-in-all, a pretty good deal. The motor runs like a top. No smog equipment, except for the crankcase oil drop thingie. No catalytic (it's a '75), no heavy thermal reactors Just a set of headers and....

Oh yeah. Anybody know someone who wants a pair of 18" glasspacks for a Dino? Wholly $*** is it loud! Great sound. Especially ripping onto the freeway. But I'm certain you can hear me commin' a 1/2 mile away. Haha!! Sounds nice, but they've got to go. Soon too. My ears can't take too much of that.

Wait a sec.... Isn't that why I bought a coupe in the first place? Someting quieter than my Spider?

What have I done? What have I done?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Reading this made me wanna bust out the 308 and go for a drive. Thanks for putting the finishing touches on my weekend. Hopefully I'll see it soon. Don't take the glass packs off until after I hear it. I've been trying to figure out how I want to make the 308 louder. Right now the only thing on the list is to pop off the cat. converters and put straight pipes in their place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Anytime Anthony. I'm in Laurel Cyn. Just let me know when.:)

Don't tell your dad I got it just yet though.;) If you've already told him, it's okay too. But I was going to call him and ask if he could look, "under my car" for an oil leak or something,:rolleyes: and let him think I was talking about the Alfa. :D

I'm curious how long it'll take him to come out and see who's coming, if I drive up the alley in 1st. Haha!!!:p

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts