Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends

This is Shmulik (Samuel) form Israel.

So I bought an 1976 Alfetta from the US and shipped it to Israel.
the car arrived 2 weeks ago and I’m been studying it since then.

The car stood for 17 years and loots needs to be done.
I started with the brake system rebuilt the calipers, the brake cylinder pump and replaced all the rubber brake hoses.
New brake pads are on the way and once here will fill the system with a new DOT4 fluid.
Next step is doing the same for the clutch.

The engine is equipped with SPICA system which is difficult to support here in Israel (also in the US I assume) and it’s not in the best condition (throttle stuck etc).
I am considering moving to a pair of Webers.

I haven’t tried starting the engine, I will open the spark plug spray some oil in and sit for few days, then after draining the oil putting new one will try to rotate the engine by hand slowly.
If all goes well I will clean the radiator put new antifreeze and give it a shoot.

Attached are several pictures of the car in its new house.

I will need your expert opinion and advice during the restore process and I thank you all in advance.

Thank you,
Samuel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would consider keeping the SPICA. There’s a lot of info on the BB on supporting and tuning it. Wes Ingrams SPICA book is also a great resource.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Be careful of the transmission linkage and make sure you change the oil in the rear transaxle. My first Alfa was an alfetta, and my main source of headache was that part of the car. Great one though! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Congratulations. Nice color!
Keep the SPICA. As others have said there is plenty of information here.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Congrats and welcome! That looks like a great Alfetta, where did you find it?

There are instructions here on setting up the SPICA system. But until you know what you are doing don't change anything.

The one thing you might want to do is remove and test the Thermostatic Actuator. If it's not working it will never run correctly. Just be careful removing it and don't bend the tube too much, its a hollow copper tube. Do some reading before removing.

If the SPICA system isn't working properly i agree converting to carbs would likely be easier where you live.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congratulations, it will be a fun project.
I just did the same thing with my recently acquired Alfetta. It was a pandemic project with my son. Mine has not been driven since 2001. We started it successfully last week after two months of work. We initially tried to turn the engine by hand and it turned. Here are a few things we did prior to starting the car.
1. Clean the gas tank. Since your car came from the US, there is a chance that it has ethanol enriched fuel. If that is the case, there may be white powdery residue everywhere.
2. Rerun all the fuel lines and replace the filters. This may be a good time to replace the fuel pump. If you have the old Spica 3-port pump, it is time to switch to the L-Jet pump. If you plan to keep the Spica, you need to keep an eye out for the fuel pressure. I ended up replacing the Fispa filter in the engine bay with another one from the pre-1974 which has built in fuel pressure regulator.
3. Replace the clutch MC and slave cylinder, also the brake MC. Replace the rubber hydraulic lines (two front brakes, one rear brake, one clutch). Check the metal hydraulic lines. Mine rear brake metal line was leaking badly so I reran the line. Check the proportioning valve in the back. Bleed both hydraulic systems.
4. Check the rear calipers. Mine were frozen solid and need rebuilding. The front ones worked fine but I replaced them with the rebuilt ones anyway. Replace the pads.
5. Replace the transaxle oil. I ended up using Redline.
6, Check the radiator for leaks. Replace the hoses and coolant. Check the thermostat.
7. Replace the V-belt, spica belt, spark plugs, cap, and rotors. Change your oil and filter.
8. Our car came without any ignition key so I took out the ignition cylinder to a locksmith and have it taken apart, soaked, rebuilt, and rekeyed.
9. Replace the oil filter in the spica pump.

Luckily, our guibos are all good at the moment.

Good luck.

Reactions: matteas

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you guys for all of your appreciated comments.
Car was purchased from a fellow In Georgia, I couldn’t resist the english racing green (original), the rims and the amazing interior.

It has some type of old school Jacobs electronic ignition, koni red in front and it was lowered a bit.
Originally had an AC installed but the engine bay AC components were removed by the previous owner, an AC is a must where I live so I will have to reinstall it somehow.

I get what you are saying on the spica and I will try using it, I have no idea what version type of spica I have installed or what L-Jet is, I will research alfabb on this and post pictures of what I have
I ordered all kind of replacement parts from Europe and I am waiting for them to arrive.
There is so much work on this car, it took me 2 days to remove the clutch master cylinder, eventually I had to cut the guide pin.
I am technical but this the first car I'm working on and lots to be learned.
My plan Is to first get the car somehow running, fix some critical corrosion spots while doing it and once this is achieved go into more detail technical restore and cosmetics.
I will post separate posts on all the issue and hear what the expert's opinion is.

Samuel.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wow love the green and you have the best wheels for the car....the 15x7 Ronal A1s and you have the GTV logo rear sail panels. I love it. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Before you try and spin the engine over by hand, (If you haven't done it already) you'll need to remove the radiator. With the radiator in there isn't enough room to get anything in between it and the crank pulley.

As far as the SPICA is concerned, here's what I did with mine. Make sure the pump actually spins first, after sitting for that long it wouldn't surprise me if the fuel in the pump has turned to varnish. If there's already a belt run to it you can just cut it off, it's not really worth saving one that old. If the fuel has indeed turned to varnish, get some fuel line and hook it to the inlet side of the pump and jam a funnel in the other end and take off the hard lines that go to the injectors from the pump. Pour some acetone down the fuel line on the inlet side (making sure you've plugged the return line side of the pump) and let it sit for a while. Start to move the pump and work the acetone through it so it can continue to break up the varnish. After a bit of this, drain the old acetone out and put new stuff in and do the same. Repeat this until the acetone comes out clear. When doing this you can check the function of the pump by seeing if the acetone squirts out of the hard line outlets. After that you can run some fresh fuel through it to clear the acetone out. It also probably wouldn't hurt to take out the injectors and soak those in acetone as well to clean them out a bit, and then some WD-40 or PB-Blaster. I know it may not be the best method, but mine sat for 42 years (It's a '76) and after doing that and a bunch of small basic service jobs, the thing is running and driving and I've had no issues other than a bad thermostatic actuator, which I replaced with a Sure Start recently.

Best of luck,
Cody

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I concur Samuel with the before post & equally congratulate you one the purchase. Man that's beautiful! here's to hoping you enjoy the journey. That's a proper car to start with.
Welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congratulations! My son also bought a pandemic-project Alfetta back in July and we have enjoyed sorting it out over the past few months. In our case it was a running car, but had barely been used over the past 4 years. We replaced the starter (on the trip home from buying it), the starter solenoid, flushed all the fluids, and been tidying up the electrical system. We've made room in the garage for the winter and will refreshing the suspension, rewiring the engine bay, and deciding how to refresh the interior. We are very fortunate there is no active rust on the car and only two small areas which have been previous treated.

Good luck on your own project.

Congratulations, it will be a fun project.
I just did the same thing with my recently acquired Alfetta. It was a pandemic project with my son. Mine has not been driven since 2001. We started it successfully last week after two months of work. We initially tried to turn the engine by hand and it turned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Friends

This is Shmulik (Samuel) form Israel.

So I bought an 1976 Alfetta from the US and shipped it to Israel.
the car arrived 2 weeks ago and I’m been studying it since then.

The car stood for 17 years and loots needs to be done.
I started with the brake system rebuilt the calipers, the brake cylinder pump and replaced all the rubber brake hoses.
New brake pads are on the way and once here will fill the system with a new DOT4 fluid.
Next step is doing the same for the clutch.

The engine is equipped with SPICA system which is difficult to support here in Israel (also in the US I assume) and it’s not in the best condition (throttle stuck etc).
I am considering moving to a pair of Webers.

I haven’t tried starting the engine, I will open the spark plug spray some oil in and sit for few days, then after draining the oil putting new one will try to rotate the engine by hand slowly.
If all goes well I will clean the radiator put new antifreeze and give it a shoot.

Attached are several pictures of the car in its new house.

I will need your expert opinion and advice during the restore process and I thank you all in advance.

Thank you,
Samuel.

View attachment 1655142
View attachment 1655143
View attachment 1655144
Shmulik: I don’t know whether this will be any help, but from years ago I have a friend in Israel who had an Alfetta Sedan—basically the same car with a different body. His name is Danny Ofek, I am not sure whether he lives close to you, but his email address is [email protected] com If you contact him, just tell him that Jon Bernheimer have you his email address. I had two Alfetta Sedans over the years, kept the mechanical fuel injection systems in both, and never had a problem with either. It looks like you’ve bought a nice car with nice wheels. Welcome to the tribe!

Jon Bernheimer
Rockville, Maryland

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys for all the great tips' i will make a use of them theme.

In the mean time i have issues with the spica that prevents me from starting the motor, see my other thred on that.

Starting to think on carb or even an engine swap

Samuel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts