Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few days the Giulia has started making a new noise. It sounds like something rattling around in a coffee can, and it only happens when the left rear tire goes over a bump or a pothole at low speed. I looked all around under the car for something loose, hanging off, etc., but everything looks ship-shape. Any thoughts on what might generate this kind of rattle?

Many thanks,
AA

·
Administrator
14,460 Posts
Anti-rollbar ends ??
Pete

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
Loose shock? Get under there and poke around with a prybar or screwdriver. If it happens that easily I'd think it'd be obvious. Put on the parking brake, just barely, see if it goes away.
Loose lug nuts!?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loose shock? Get under there and poke around with a prybar or screwdriver. If it happens that easily I'd think it'd be obvious. Put on the parking brake, just barely, see if it goes away.
Loose lug nuts!?
It's definitely not the lug nuts. I had just recently torqued them on to the proper torque... What does putting on the parking brake lightly do?

·
Administrator
14,460 Posts
Putting on the parking brake lightly will tension the cable. Andrew is wondering if the cable is loose and clacking around on something

Pete

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
Or, if something is loose inside the parking brake mechanism. It's all a bit loosey goosey in there, especially as things get old. Assuming you have ATE brakes.
andrew

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm.... It turned out to be the brake dust shield...although there doesn't seem to be any way to tighten it to eliminate the rattling....

Any tricks, or suggestions, other than a wad of JB Weld?

·
Administrator
14,460 Posts
Sounds like it has been bent. Straightening it might return its strength.

It is attached to the axle tube via bolts that go through the hand brake hub, I think. If actually loose that is a concern ...
Pete

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Pete - thanks for the note. I tried tightening the nuts on the bolts that come out of the back of the hub, to see if that would snug up the shield, but the nuts are already super tight. Oddly, I can't recall anything hitting the shield, or something that would have bent it. The noise just started up out of the blue a few months ago.

·
Administrator
14,460 Posts
They usually get bent when the axle is removed as those shields hit the ground first.

I've checked my rear axle rebuild thread and if the dust shield is loose then the axle hub is not correctly seated ... but this sound only just started. I'm confused????

Pete

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder...is disassembling and reassembling the hub worth the hassle, to get rid of the rattle?

·
Administrator
14,460 Posts
Well I'd be worried about why the axle is trying to get out (or was it never installed properly), but then there is that saying about "if it aren't broke, don't fix it".

But if you have an axle puller, a 1 hour job to have a look, but ...
Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts