Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name is Rob. I have loved the Spider ever since I was sixteen and started my love affair with fun roadsters.

I have owned and loved the following beauties:

1955 Jaguar XK140 Coupe - concourse restoration by my dad and I in the early 80's

1971 Triumph Stag - really fun, awesome sounds.

1985 Mercedes SL450

1952 Mercedes 220 Cabriolet B - Gretta

2005 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Gretta 2

And now finally I own a Spider

1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - Sophia is her name with Utah historic vanity plates: CIAO
20201227_093151.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Interesting collection of cars and now you have the last year of the classic dual pod Alfas and a Veloce to boot.
I started with a XK150 Jaguar.
You will find a LOT of support on this forum.
WElcome

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hello all,

My name is Rob. I have loved the Spider ever since I was sixteen and started my love affair with fun roadsters.

I have owned and loved the following beauties:

1955 Jaguar XK140 Coupe - concourse restoration by my dad and I in the early 80's

1971 Triumph Stag - really fun, awesome sounds.

1985 Mercedes SL450

1952 Mercedes 220 Cabriolet B - Gretta

2005 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Gretta 2

And now finally I own a Spider

1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - Sophia is her name with Utah historic vanity plates: CIAO View attachment 1665197
Yea S3 is the best of all worlds in the Alfa community. Old school styling and fuel injection!

Ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took delivery of Sophia from New York. She was a one owner and spent most of her life in Florida. (Just 43K original miles).
I'm currently dealing with a no spark, no start issue. But I've been sent in some good directions by BB members having sent me a Papajam original wiring diagram for an '84 and the L-Jetronic troubleshooting article (thanks Eric).
Currently ordering and replacing both flywheel position sensors. We'll see where that gets me.
Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming.

·
Administrator
17,711 Posts
Welcome. Thanks for the photo (did anyone mention we like photos?).

How is the battery? The L-jet computers (there are two) require about 10.5V to power up and send the make spark/squirt fuel signals. If the battery is a little tired it can sound like it is cranking over fine but if the available voltage is below that threshold it won't start. Connect a voltmeter to the battery (a dash gauge is usually not wired for this test). With everything off a fully charged battery should read 12.6V. 12.3V is 1/2 to 3/4 charged. Next see what it reads while operating the starter motor. As one point of reference, our Spider will show 11.6V - 11.8V during cranking.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Welcome. Thanks for the photo (did anyone mention we like photos?).

How is the battery? The L-jet computers (there are two) require about 10.5V to power up and send the make spark/squirt fuel signals. If the battery is a little tired it can sound like it is cranking over fine but if the available voltage is below that threshold it won't start. Connect a voltmeter to the battery (a dash gauge is usually not wired for this test). With everything off a fully charged battery should read 12.6V. 12.3V is 1/2 to 3/4 charged. Next see what it reads while operating the starter motor. As one point of reference, our Spider will show 11.6V - 11.8V during cranking.
Of course not Eric. We knew that you would and did not want to take that away from you. :LOL: :)

Reactions: andylarry

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Congratulations and welcome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got Sophia to start. It was those two crankshaft position sensors you all recommended changing. Thank you.
I ordered two of them at $54 each. 15 minutes to swap them.
And boom! She fired instantly. Not even a hesitation at all.
It's only 47 degrees here in Utah and I drove her around (top down) for two hours.
Wahoooooooo!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Glad to hear it. Just FYI, Porsche 928 uses the same sensors and where they put them takes days to change if you can get them out.
Congratulations. I would have taken a top down drive too.
What year is your spider?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Glad to hear it. Just FYI, Porsche 928 uses the same sensors and where they put them takes days to change if you can get them out.
Congratulations. I would have taken a top down drive too.
What year is your spider?
in the intro he said:
1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - Sophia is her name with Utah historic vanity plates: CIAO

Reactions: pantera928

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
in the intro he said:
Are you telling me that I need more coffee? :LOL: :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
nah,,,,maybe something with a bit higher octane ! lol
Well, that can be arranged. In fact it is almost 5:00 o'clock here. :LOL: 🍻🥂
Like your past Triumphs. I used to turn a wrench for British Leyland.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What color is it? Hard to tell from the image. Looks green to me. Is that the original color, paint? I don't remember the 85 coming with color matched bumper trim and side mirror caps.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
What color is it? Hard to tell from the image. Looks green to me. Is that the original color, paint? I don't remember the 85 coming with color matched bumper trim and side mirror caps.
Bumpers originally would have been silver and black unless on a quad. I have seen the power mirrors in both black and painted to match.
I do not think that color is original. Looks like British Racing Green which was not offered until the S4 if i recall correctly.
A custom paint job.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Welcome ! Nothing like a story with a positive ending. I like the colour of the car, even if non-standard. Enjoy the ride !

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Welcome ! Nothing like a story with a positive ending. I like the colour of the car, even if non-standard. Enjoy the ride !
I like it too!

·
Registered
what part?
10,747 Posts
......a new .......'victim '......................of the 'spider bite......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts