Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi alfisti,

I bought a Giulietta, had a close look and hope for your advice / tips. You want pics, you get pics ;)

This is what the lady looks like:

AR110743 from 1960, apparently a Giulietta Berlina series 2 according to the chassis number.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel

As written here
difference between 101 Giulietta Berlina and ti

does it have all the signs of a ti, i.e. a chromed trim strip on the gutter above the doors, the rear lights, the indicaturs, the dashboard, the horn button. apparently also the door panels.

Automotive tire Automotive design Luggage and bags Trunk Automotive exterior

The bodywork is pretty good in my opinion.

The positive: the underbody is very well preserved, as are the wheel arches

Wheel Tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Wood Tread Automotive wheel system Gas

Problem areas are the boot floor with spare wheel well, but that's not a hard area to weld now.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Road surface Tints and shades

Automotive tire Tints and shades Gas Darkness Metal

The doors are also bad, here the passenger door

Water Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

But I got 4 spare doors, they all have at least a floor with the proper water holes

Wood Automotive tire Stairs Composite material Gas

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine which went with the car is from a 1963 ti. It turns by hand.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Wood Tread

The head is a mixture of numbers ;-), I hope 10110 which would refer to a ti-head.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font

Furthermore I got 2 gearboxes, one for 4-speed column transmission (the short one), one with floor shift (5-speed, probably therefore from a 105). The combination of floor shift with a bench seat is really unusual, but the Berlina may have been converted to a ti, seemingly consistently and completely. The shifter is missing, but hopefully one of the 105s should fit.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

Unfortunately, the cardan shaft (front part) is the longer one for the short manual gearbox.

Also the front bumper is wrong, it would fit perfectly, but the screws are 91 cm apart, the holes in the front panel unfortunately only 78 cm...possibly from series 3 too. Too bad, I hope I can get the correct one from the previous owner.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Grille Car

I still have the following questions: Berlina (8/41) and ti (9/41) have different final drive ratios, can one see the difference from the photos / the numbers? The 105s have color markings, but I couldn't see anything here.

Automotive tire Wood Grey Brick Font

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Artifact Automotive wheel system

I'm missing the gearbox mount, does anyone have a photo of what that looks like?

Door Automotive tire Fixture Wood Gas

Furthermore, I cannot assign the following parts, is that all for the steering wheel shifter? As I would need the correct steering column, I cannot use these parts now.

Wood Gas Tints and shades Auto part Asphalt

I don't have a time schedule, I just wanted this car. I'll try to find all the missing parts when I have a (good) opportunity and if I have time and inclination, I'll have the underbody ice-blasted and then take care of the sheet metal. I fear the mechanics less after 35 years of Alfa driving...but whalt a really nice little car!!!

Thank you for your patiente&help,

Ciaoliviero

Attachments

·
Registered
'59 Giulietta Sprint 101, '79 Alfetta GT
161 Posts
Fantastic! My advice: Don't be afraid of the rust, cut it out and weld in new pieces where needed, but don't spend a week cutting out all the sections at once. It's a great way to be overwhelmed. If I do a couple of sections at a time, I see real progress, even if I have a loooooooong road ahead.
- Matt

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't be afraid of the rust
I'm not afraid of rust - I went through the valley of tears with my Alfetta... :cool::giggle:
the simpler things I weld myself, when it gets too complicated I have an artist for that...

Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Composite material

·
Registered
'59 Giulietta Sprint 101, '79 Alfetta GT
161 Posts
If you've welded on an Alfetta, I think you'll be pretty happy when you strike an arc on that Giulietta sheet metal.

·
Administrator
750 Sprints, Spider, 101 Sprint, Spider & Ti, 105 Sprint GT, 105 Juniors, others
4,809 Posts
Congratulations Oliviero

Yes 1960, Fusi dates it as the 743rd Series II Berlina built with the new 110 numbering system.

Bench seat is correct, it should be column shift, but the floor shift is easier to use. If you want to go back to the column shift, it looks like you are also missing the small arm that fits onto the splines at the bottom of the long shaft - I think I have one of these.

Door panels / door cards are correct for a Berlina, the Ti was different - see below, not sure what your spare doors have, but honestly either style would work.

The head is a generic 1300cc Giulietta head, the part number of 10100-01500-05 doesn't mean 10100 Ti, you read these mechanical part numbers differently, 10100 is the Series, they didn't put 101 like they used 00105 for the 105's as there was only one 1300cc cylinder head in production at that time and that was the 00100 or in this case the 10100. Next 015 is the Group --> engine, 00 is the Sub-Group --> head but the last 2 are the important ones -05 means that it is the 5th evolution / version of the part, so a late head, which is what you actually want as the problems were fixed in versions 1, 2, 3 & 4. Same goes for camshafts and all other bits.

The bumper is for the back, the front bumper has the number plate space pressed into it. Hopefully the previous owner has this, if not, there should be lots in Italy and failing everything else, I think I have a spare, but shipping would be expensive. I have spare alloy trim for around the windows.

If you remove the filler plug on the rear axle and slowly rotate the pinion you should see numbers punched into the edge of the crown wheel, either 9/41 or 8/41. Not everyone was marked, so you might have to count revolutions instead.

Welcome to Giulietta sedan ownership :D

Ciao
Geig

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good morning / good evening,

me again.

I was happy to be able to change bumpers with the previous owner (I fixed the additional headlights into the existing holes) :

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Also he gave me the missing gearbox mount. This leads me to my next question, as the two gearboxes, which came with the car, differ in the lenght.
One is 4 speed column shift, the other is 5 speed floor shift. With the car I got obviously the propeller shaft for column shift.

Obviously ist is too long.
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

As you can see in the picture, the lenght oft he two gearboxes differ, also the distance of the bearing differs. Grrrr. Why should things be simple in a bundle of parts...

4 speed column shift – gearbox is shorter, therefore longer propeller shaft (front part 31,5 cm)

5 speed floor shift – gearbox is longer, therefore shorter propeller shaft (front part 24,5 cm)

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Auto part

The rear part should be for both cases the same length (1,00 m)
  • Therefore there must be different propeller shafts (front part). The difference seems to be about 7 cm.
  • Therefore there must be different gearbox mounts. Maybe the mount ist the one I need, but the chance is 50 : 50 (therefore in real life 10:90...).. Maybe I can rotate it for about 180° degrees to get the screw in the right position (no, that would be a lucky coincidence and I don't think so…and also the holes for the screws are not symmetric)
Personal protective equipment Machine Auto part Armour Metal

and coincidentally I found a used trunk floor - you wouldn't believe it...OK, 1.000 km away from me, but...

Rectangle Wood Grey Font Paint

At least that's my logic...to be continued…

Ciaoliviero

Attachments

·
Administrator
750 Sprints, Spider, 101 Sprint, Spider & Ti, 105 Sprint GT, 105 Juniors, others
4,809 Posts
A competent engineering shop can cut & weld the prop shaft, also the gearbox mount or even fabricate a custom gearbox mount. Because you have some changes to the car already, you will have to do some extra ones to accommodate them.

The 5 speed is the way to go

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts