Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo everyone,

lets use my first post here to introduce myself.

I am Michaelfrom the Netherlands and I have recently aquired a 79 Spider Veloce in the color brown. I imported it from California.

At the moment I drive a Mini clubman cooper, a 2015 mustang convertible and a 2016 Sprinter.

The spider is the latest addition.

i changed the oil and all filters (There was a varnish like substance in it). Also changed the really really blackened spark plugs. And the engine purrs like a kitten.

Downsides, sun tainted paint, didnt drive since 2005, found a mouse. Some cut and missing wires, tattered Seats, the roof had its best days, And it runs extremely rich.

I hope to learn a lot around here

Drinkware Fluid Wood Finger Bottle

Wood Fluid Liquid Finger Bottle

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood

View attachment 1713115

· Premium Member
3,441 Posts
You will probably learn everything you need to know on this forum. The are others from your country as well but i do not recall who they are right now. That car should have the Spica injection unless it was converted while in California.
This is generally a pretty friendly and helpful group compared to some other car forums.
Sounds like your injection my have some set up issues but that can be dealt with.
There are good parts suppliers for Alfas in England and Germany as well as many others in the USA.
Just post your questions and do not be shy or apologetic about them.
Welcome aboard and thanks for the pictures. Feel free to send more of them.
FYI, most spiders have cut and/or altered wires.

· Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Check your conversations. I sent you something you might find helpful

· Registered
802 Posts
Welcome aboard and congratulation on your Spider. The SPICA fuel injection is a marvelous piece of machinery, but it does have a filter that probably needs to be changed. Here is some info to get your started.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the Messages and pantera for the diagram.

I have a new filter for the Spica system. I only have to find a new gasket.

I plan to check the thermostatic actuator this weekend. And send it for rebuild if needed.If it is ok, then search through the manual on how to make it more lean

it has 78.000 miles on the odometer btw

also pulling out all the carpets. Smells like mice

· Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Thanks everyone for the Messages and pantera for the diagram.

I have a new filter for the Spica system. I only have to find a new gasket.

I plan to check the thermostatic actuator this weekend. And send it for rebuild if needed.If it is ok, then search through the manual on how to make it more lean

it has 78.000 miles on the odometer btw

also pulling out all the carpets. Smells like mice
Sounds like you are on the right track. Regarding the carpet, no one makes one piece carpets like the originals but there are several that sell carpets for these cars in precut multiple sections and they work well and look good. Just an option in case your carpet is not reusable.

· Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
1,060 Posts
The old plugs look just a tad rich, maybe check the new plugs in a couple hundred miles to see how they're doing. Those bumpers can be retracted and look a whole lot better.

Welcome to the club, it's a fun, fun car!

David OD
Laguna CA

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The old plugs look just a tad rich, maybe check the new plugs in a couple hundred miles to see how they're doing. Those bumpers can be retracted and look a whole lot better.

Welcome to the club, it's a fun, fun car!

David OD
Laguna CA
I first have to fix the suspension, exhaust, new tires (these are from 97), interior, wiring, roof and the paint before I can make Some miles.

It has to get in technical good shape before i can get a license plate

oh almost forgot even the new oil smells like gasoline

· Registered
10,842 Posts
oh almost forgot even the new oil smells like gasoline
This is a dire situation USUALLY associated with a worn out SPICA pump.. The pump is a miniature 4 piston engine that has tight clearances to meter the proper amount of fuel to each engine cylinder and is timed to deliver at the optimum time in each cylinder synchronized withe the firing order of the engine. When the clearances inside the pump become sloppy the fuel delivered to the pump can be pushed past the pump pistons and into the engine oil sump resulting in fuel in the oil sump.. not good. It is a major overhaul to repair and costly ( $1500-2000). You can have a laboratory in the US analyze your oil for fuel content. It takes a couple weeks and is cheap. Also your Oil Vapor separator is disconnected from the vent on the cam cover.. That for another day.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a dire situation USUALLY associated with a worn out SPICA pump.. The pump is a miniature 4 piston engine that has tight clearances to meter the proper amount of fuel to each engine cylinder and is timed to deliver at the optimum time in each cylinder synchronized withe the firing order of the engine. When the clearances inside the pump become sloppy the fuel delivered to the pump can be pushed past the pump pistons and into the engine oil sump resulting in fuel in the oil sump.. not good. It is a major overhaul to repair and costly ( $1500-2000). You can have a laboratory in the US analyze your oil for fuel content. It takes a couple weeks and is cheap. Also your Oil Vapor separator is disconnected from the vent on the cam cover.. That for another day.
i must say that I have a feeling that you are right. The pump is probably worn out. And I have already found out that the queue for a rebuild is about 6 to 8 months @ Wes ingram and costs 1650.

Ah well, I hope I only have to get it rebuilt only once in my life.

the only thing that I am going to check first (tomorrow). Is the thermostatic actuator. Which if I understand, can cause the same problem.

i do not want to convert It to carbs though.

· Registered
3,246 Posts
BTW, I like brown, that could be made into a very nice car. It's coming back recently as well - lots of bronzes and chocolates and browns showing up on new cars.

Example, the McQueen 250 Lusso.......
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I found out that the ta in cold condition reads 4.75mm. So that is not the problem.

How likely is it that the spica pump needs a rebuild? Or are there still Some other things I can try?

furthermore i removed the inner carpet and did not find further strange things. I did notice a choke cable which seems fairly new and which is mounted on the bottom of the middle console. (The usual location)

also there were no interior speakers behind the speaker covers..

I have the feeling that I have to send in the pump. And in the following 8 months fix the rest like the leaking suspension, interior and exterior.

i dont have to get bored in Corona times

· Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
1,060 Posts
The worn-out Spica pump dilutes the oil with gas, as you know. VERY bad for your bearings etc. Probably best to not drive the car.

Forgive me, I don't mean to patronize with basic information, but I haven't read this in your thread. Maybe others know of Spica resources in the EU.

David OD
Laguna CA

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The worn-out Spica pump dilutes the oil with gas, as you know. VERY bad for your bearings etc. Probably best to not drive the car.

Forgive me, I don't mean to patronize with basic information, but I haven't read this in your thread. Maybe others know of Spica resources in the EU.

David OD
Laguna CA
No problem. I am not driving the car. I was checking all possible options and sadly everything points in the direction of the pump.

I have searched everywhere and it seems that no one in the eu can rebuild a pump.

I am going to send a message to wes next weekend to get the pump in queue for rebuild.

thanks for the info everyone btw!

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure if mr. Schafferus (Berlin) is still up and runing, maybe send him a mail?
He was mentioned on the Montreal site
Benzineinspritzung
thanks for the info and link!

I have sent him a mail. At times like this I am happy that german isnt a problem for me 🤣.

now it is time to wait and hope for a reply.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts