Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Alfisti,
I am quite sure with the vast pool of knowledge out there somebody can help me. As I come to the end of 2 year restoration project on my Giulia Super I have noticed for the first time that the front seat supports differ from left to right.On my RHD car the driver's side ones are closer together. Why? There must surely be a logical reason for this that completely escapes me at present. I have been making up new bases for aftermarket seats and measured one side only assuming foolishly that the car would be symmetrical ,to find out when I had completed the two that only one would fit!
After 40 years of Alfa ownership I still love their quirkiness that sets them apart from other more mundane cars, as they say its the grit in the oyster.
Regards
John

·
Registered
236 Posts
In all 105 series the right side (floor) is narrower than the left side (y)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Does it have to do with the drive train design? When you see the 105 chassis in plan the driveshaft is off-center but to Andrew's point was it done for drivers space reasons, or something to do with the Nord drive train setup? Did the slight tilt of the engine cause it? Making room for the pedal box?

I'd love to know the reason - its cool when these little details get pointed out.

(gtv drawing - couldnt find one for the saloon)

·
Premium Member
22,809 Posts
If I remember right, my MGA had more room on the right side, favoring drivers in the home market, even though they probably sold more cars in the US than anywhere.
Some differentials have the driveshaft enter noticeably off-center, which I think contributes to it. The Nord engine, even though it's tilted, I imagine the crank centerline is still pretty on-center, or wherever Alfa intended to put it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Maybe it was due to the fact that Alfa thought men would be driving, with bigger feet, than the women who would be riding with them.

I can't remember seeing an Italian photo of a woman driving an Alfa and a man riding, though I'm sure it must have happened. Perhaps, when the old boy was dead drunk...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it was due to the fact that Alfa thought men would be driving, with bigger feet, than the women who would be riding with them.

I can't remember seeing an Italian photo of a woman driving an Alfa and a man riding, though I'm sure it must have happened. Perhaps, when the old boy was dead drunk...
Yes, some very interesting theories. However in pursuit of the truth I have left no stone unturned and today had my Super up on a lift to discover the mundane truth is just that the gearbox is asymmetrical, being larger on the right side , I believe this to be due the reverse gear mechanism , and so necessitating a reduction in the floor pan width on that side. As usual the truth is so much more boring than the conspiracy theories that often abound.

John

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
John,

With such fabulous attention to detail in turning over stones, you'd be a natural at mud larking on the Thames foreshore 👍

Let's see some photos of your Super!

Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts