Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little over a week ago I took my "cosmetically challenged" but otherwise original Montreal to the track meet. On the straights it can hold its own against any period car (that normal people like me own, anyway), but in the corners it's close to useless :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, shifting an Italian V8 at 7-8000 rpm really does something to a man :D

And by the way: there's juuuust enough headroom for a helmeted 187 cm (6 foot one) guy in there ;)

Thanks to Jens Holwech for the picture!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Looks like you had a great time!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes. There had been a huge "F&F" thing happening at the track a few days before, so the surface was absolutely packed with rubber and the sand traps looked like someone had carpet bombed them several times over, but to each their own ;)

And for once, it didn't rain! :eek:

Here's another shot. This time on static with a Lancia Montecarlo, a 916-series GTV and a pristine 75/Milano V6. Same photographer as above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Thanks for sharing your photographs. Always good to see a Montreal getting some exercise! Have you considered the Harvey Bailey spring kit?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upgraded springs are on the todo-list somewhere, but not anywhere near the upper half of the increasingly expanding list of big and small things. The original shocks and all of the very worn bushings, joints and tie rod ends are scheduled for replacement this winter, and after that the clutch is coming out. Oh, and the exhaust resonators have developed craters since the fuel cutoff switch packed in ;)

But yes, a stiffened and more responsive Montreal would have been great, but alas, it'll never be a tossable racing car anyway :rolleyes:

And while I'm at it: I had an almost unreal experience last night. After visiting some friends an hour's drive away, I drove the Montreal back home via the motorway. As I entered the on-ramp just after midnight, the smooth four-lane was completely empty! The speed limit on that 25 km stretch is 100 km/h and devoid of any speed cameras. I had the motorway all by myself the entire way, I couldn't see a single car, but I'm not gonna tell you how long it lasted :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing about these cars is that it's scarily easy to get to silly speeds, even on a normal daytime motorway run. They really are a high speed cruiser. Can't imagine many places left in the world where you could use the car and actually push it to see what it would go too - without losing your license!
I've got the Harvey-Bailey handling kit on my Montreal and it makes a massive difference through the bends...

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts