Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, it's been a while since my first questions on how to start taking things apart on my sedan...the whole winter went by, a basement full of parts scattered all over, $$$, but the conversion is complete, and I'm a happy driver now...I just need to start optimizing the carbs, but that may take some time...In the meantime, I just wanted to raise this question. I bought a set of Bosch +2 platinum plugs (the ones available from IAP), and when I finally got confident enough to rev this thing high part 4,000 a very bad miss occured. Well, after tinkering around a bit I decided to put the old, black, sooted, Lodge plugs the car initially came with, and just like that the problem went away and the engine pulled past 4,000 no problem...Since one of the Bosch was pretty black compared to the other 3, and one of the grounding electrodes was suspect, I thought it was 1 bad plug. Went to the store, bought 1 new Bosch, put it in with the other and, bang, the problem came back. Went back to the store and got 4 NGK at 2$ a piece, and problem goes away. Now, I've heard and read numerous opinions on the matter, but, has anyone experienced this?? Let me mention that the points have been replaced with the Pertronix mag pick-up...Now let me show off just a bit....Hope you enjoy the pictures...and as always, thank you all. FYI, mods so far are electronic ignition, 11.1mm cams, 45dcoe, and headers, all new gaskets and seals...lots more room for impovement in the future....

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,043 Posts
I've always run Lodge plugs in my Alfas, even on my race Sud engine ... never had a problem even at 8,500rpm all day long.

Pete

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Did you check the spark plug gaps?

Champion plugs work well for us on the 4 cylinders.

Also - nice color. What is the paint code/name on your sedan? I really like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you check the spark plug gaps?

Champion plugs work well for us on the 4 cylinders.

Also - nice color. What is the paint code/name on your sedan? I really like it.
the gap on the trouble plugs (the Bosch) is preset and not adjustable, but I suppose it could be the wrong preset...the color code/name is AR343 Blu Olandese, however, since I had to repaint the underside of the hood, I had some trouble with the clear coat turning it more into a purple, good thing it's under the hood...

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Bosch platinum plugs I had fouled in very short order as well. I've since switched to NGK but haven't put enough miles on them yet to make an assessment.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Very tidy engine bay.
My first alfa GTV was this color. Blue orlandese., Still my favorite gtv color.

Have a look at the position of the electrode relative to the inlet valve. They can arch across to the valve. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts