Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am guessing , you changed the belts and not the tensioner as a set , right? Common mistake , always change tensioner along with belts. And is some cases , water pump also ...(with the one with metallic parts inside.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
In most cases changing the belts and pulleys is OK but with a rusted tensioner you never know. I don't think they are included in the standard sets? Pulley and metal holder are but there is no need to change that metal part, you can press the pulley off and on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The rust on the spring has no effect really as the spring is static once the 17mm nut is tightened , what I would look at is why some water got in there (previous leaking water pump ?) and most likely into the bearing as well .. as it is the bearing that has seized that has caused this failure .. or was the belt tension set to tight (a common mistake) stressing the bearing ? .

·
Registered
755 Posts
Bugger me...thats gotta hurt. Hope you get it back on the road soon...lesson for us all...check your belts (and tensioners) regularly...

Goodluck with the fix...

·
Registered
157 Posts
The bearings on the tensioners do wear out and can fail. I replaced the tensioner wheels, along with the belts on both my cars. The ones I took off were mostly starting to feel rough, and it would have just been a matter of when they failed, not if.....

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I have loads of these tensioners, all brand new. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two versions I have? One has plastic roller, as pictured above, whereas the other has a plain metal roller. Is it possible to use either, or are they type-specific?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an issue with the outer timing belt rubbing slightly on the inner side of the crankshaft pulley.

The pulley was custom lathed about 8 months ago.
ONly when it gets hot and expands it starts squeaking.

I need to fix this asap.

Not sure if it is the tensioner arm alignment or the inner shape of the crankshaft pulley.
Is the pulley meant to be flat on the inner side?

If so then I believe the tensioner pulley is out of alignment by 1mm or so pulling the timing belt against the crankshaft pulley.

What do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts