Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a completely enjoyable one. My wife, daughter, and family dog hiked up 4363' Mt Oceola in the White Mountains of NH. It was a fairly easy 2hr hike on a glorious early fall day. When we got to the top, we were met with a stunning view to the east and off to Maine. A sheer cliff with about an 800' drop off meant that the dog needed to remain leashed. We sat and split a bottle of Flaio Negroamaro (an inexpensive, but tasty Italian red from Salento) with trail mix, brownies and apples--and enjoyed the view. The dog was unleashed on the trails, and was thoroughly exhausted by the time we got back to the car. He's still sleeping. We got home and after having some take-out, retired to the hot-tub. All in all, a great day, and the Alfa got to stretch her legs also, in the 200mi round trip to the mountain base and back. Wish I had some pictures to share, but the batteries in the digi camera crapped out halfway up the mountain.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Oh how good the simple joys of life can be. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
467 Posts
How was the Alfa on access trails? Were they paved or gravel? I'm currious if I'll ever be able to take my Alfa up to trailheads (and leave it there) while I go backpacking.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How was the Alfa on access trails? Were they paved or gravel? I'm currious if I'll ever be able to take my Alfa up to trailheads (and leave it there) while I go backpacking.
This particular mountain had a small parking area for about 15 cars (full when we got there--we had to park on the road) The access road was a dirt road with only a few rough areas. I could only go about 25-30 mph or so. The road was wide enough for parking on to the side, and very little traffic, so I wasn't too concerned. Not all hiking trails in the White Mountains have parking areas as large--if any at all.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
We sat and split a bottle of Flaio Negroamaro (an inexpensive, but tasty Italian red from Salento) with trail mix, brownies and apples--and enjoyed the view. .
The drinking and driving I could understand and enjoy, but need climb 4363 ft up has me confused?

Just kidding, sounds like a wonderful day.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The drinking and driving I could understand and enjoy, but need climb 4363 ft up has me confused?
(not at the same time though).

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(not at the same time though).
Yes, not at the same time...last sip and behind wheel were at least two hours apart with moderate physical activity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts