Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey out there in alfaland, I have a '74 GTV 2000 I'm getting ready to paint and am trying to decide whether to keep the rubber/chrome trim along the sides. Almost all GTVs I see don't have it, have they removed it or was this an option? The car is completely original so I'm afraid of changing anything on it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Keep the rubber and trim. It looks nice.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't think any of the GTVs came with a side molding from the factory. This would have been installed either as a dealer option or by a PO (previous owner).

My opinion: Loose it!

Garrett

·
Administrator
13,480 Posts
Yep I would leave it off. Hides the lines IMO.

Only plus is the trim saves door banging in car parks ... but pretty sure not original equipment.

Pete

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
TAKE IT OFF!!!

My GTV has that on it also, doesn't protect your car at all. The newer cars have a different height and side contour (wider at the bottom), and most of the time they'll hit your door at a spot much lower where the ding guard is.

Another problem I have with is when you open the door, the front fender will hit the ding guard, both of my doors have a nasty ding (HUGE) where the ding guard meets the fender. Ouch. :(

On all the Alfa brochures I have seen so far, none of them had those rubber on the side, it COMPLETELY destroyed the nice character line running the shoulder.

I was going to take mine off, but worried about the holes it left, and the rust issue. Definitely going to take them off when I repaint the car. :D

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Whoops!

I read the first post wrong.

TAKE IT OFF! Those are horrific!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sniady said:
Keep the rubber and trim. It looks nice.
Hahaha! I thought you were messing around Sniady!

Definitely remove the trim! It was not meant to be there and as AC said, it rarely if ever works properly.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Definitely not factory or port installed. It was applied either by taste-less dealers or the dreaded previous owner (DPO). Get rid of it!

Ciao,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts