Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my 92 in today off the truck from Miami to Lexington. What a great car. I was so proud to see her sitting up on the trailer looking so nice. 5 speed. Everything working. Clean body with normal dings. Just a very decent car for the money. One owner. Got records dating back to 92. Even the original window sticker and delivery papers.

So go to get in her and I cannot get my size 12s on the clutch. My knee hits between the steering wheel and the door panel. Seat does not go back as far as my 78. Door panels stick way out as compared to the 78's flat door panel. In short, I cannot get my 6 foot 4 inch frame to mesh with this car. Dam...Dam....Dam! Steering wheel does not telescope as far as I can tell. Seat back all the way. I am surprised how much less room is in the 92 as compared to my 78. I am currently smoking Marboros, drinking diet Mt. Dews, and piss'n in my Wheaties!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Your friend in despair,
John M

PS. Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Alas John, I had no idea you were so tall! No, unfortunately...the later the model year, the smaller the interior room when it comes to Spiders!

I'm afraid that short of having someone cut into the rear floor and reposition the seat tracks, there isn't much you can do!

You just weren't made for a late model Spider!

Suggestions:

1. Trade it for a 164.
2. Give it as a gift to your wife/ girlfriend (she'll fit!)
3. Sell it for more than you paid for it to a shorter person.

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
John,
My friend Ray fits in my car ('88) with a bit of effort - he's 6'-6".
I had to do a little modification: I "re-centered" by shift lever to the right a bit so he could get it into first.

The other thing I was thinking - if you got a Momo steering wheel with an Alfa hub adapter, an extension could be fabbed up to extend the wheel towards you a bit more.

My vote is in to make the car fit you - or trade me for my '88!

·
Registered
168 Posts
John

Im 6-5 weigth 230 and have size 12 shoes and also own a 91 spider. My wife playes circus music everytime I get into the car. Though I think I fit ok my knees are a little tight but COME ON IT'S AN ALFA.

·
Registered
46 Posts
John - Too bad that your new convertible doesn't quite work out for you. Well, I am a bit smaller frame (5'-7") and currently driving a 78 spider. Perhaps, we can do a swap or I can buy your 92'? Seriously, I do like to own a newer spider someday.

Best of luck!!

John M said:
So I got my 92 in today off the truck from Miami to Lexington. What a great car. I was so proud to see her sitting up on the trailer looking so nice. 5 speed. Everything working. Clean body with normal dings. Just a very decent car for the money. One owner. Got records dating back to 92. Even the original window sticker and delivery papers.

So go to get in her and I cannot get my size 12s on the clutch. My knee hits between the steering wheel and the door panel. Seat does not go back as far as my 78. Door panels stick way out as compared to the 78's flat door panel. In short, I cannot get my 6 foot 4 inch frame to mesh with this car. Dam...Dam....Dam! Steering wheel does not telescope as far as I can tell. Seat back all the way. I am surprised how much less room is in the 92 as compared to my 78. I am currently smoking Marboros, drinking diet Mt. Dews, and piss'n in my Wheaties!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Your friend in despair,
John M

PS. Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....Dam....Dam.....

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I think all you tall guys need to try driving one of the original Spiders, a Roundtail! Think of it: no console, thin seats, more legroom, less padding for your butt...hell, they were MADE for tall guys! The only trouble is the height of the windshield...if you're too tall, you are looking over it!

My 280 pound, 5'11" carcass, and size 12s' fits just fine!

Cheers,

·
Registered
325 Posts
That really stinks John! Maybe it could just be your wife's car? :confused:

I'm sure you could turn it around for the same money...maybe put it towards a Giulietta or Sprint or some other classic Alfa.

I'm really sorry to hear the car doesn't fit!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must say that my girlfriend Lisa was really excited to hear some of the suggestions and was waiting in anticipation for the mighty ignition key. Alex, she was ready to just move her flower vase out of her Beetle and into my Alfa! It was definitley close to a tragedy.

Well, I decided I would not be denied. It was going to be either a hacksaw and a trip to the hospital, or I was going to find a way to drive her. After much stress, many Mt Dews, and enough Marboros to frighten the surgeon general, I came up with a simple solution that allows me to drive the car. I took my shoes off and whala....I can shift.

I must say that driving my 78 is like driving a cadillac as compared to the 92. And I am not kidding, the difference is that dramatic. I am going to explore the steering wheel swap as mentioned. I am also going to see about removing those big washers out from beneath the seat rails and see if that helps. I must say that I must look a little off when I pull up and have to open the doors and put my shoes on. But in any case worth the humiliation to drive the S4.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just keep your personal hygiene in check or the car might get nicknamed "Stinky"....hehehehe

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hahahaha! Good one Rob!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune John! Perhaps you can install a pedal box like the one in hulia's GTV. :)

Just don't get pulled over in your shiny red cruiser. I heard a long time ago that you could get a ticket for driving without shoes on. Maybe you should paint shoe laces on your socks. Then again, you could try to demonstrate to the cop how unsafe it is for you to drive with your shoes on.

Silly question. Have you tried reclining the seat so that your arms are more comfortable at least?

You could do like Schwarzenegger did in "Comando". Just rip out the seat entirely. :D

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hmmm...

I always take off my sandals when I am driving, because someone told me I would get a ticket driving with sandals.
Yes, my car stinks :D

John -
How about some Puma, Sparco or Alpinestar driving shoes? They're designed for driving and really wrap around your feet pretty nicely. They have a much thinner and smaller bottom piece (?) to give you better feel, but thicker on where the heel is for better support. And they've a much smaller footprint and size than a normal shoe.

67GTV said:
Just don't get pulled over in your shiny red cruiser. I heard a long time ago that you could get a ticket for driving without shoes on. Maybe you should paint shoe laces on your socks. Then again, you could try to demonstrate to the cop how unsafe it is for you to drive with your shoes on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts