Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alot of ideas have been tossed around about modding and such especialy the drive shafts

while pulling my 2.5 from my lloyd i got eyeballin things,

obviously it would be possible, but has anyone considered moving the clutch up front and then just leaving everything else as is, this in theory would let the rubbers take the "shock" load off the transaxle, as well as moving the mass to the clutch end, and possibly letting the syncros better do their job , in theory you would just need to modify the front bell and chop down the transaxle bell

·
Administrator
12,570 Posts
An Alfetta GTV was built in New Zealand as a race car with a Chev v8 @ 600hp sitting below the windscreen.

They got a v6 transaxle to survive by adding an oil pump ...

Otherwise the car was a waste of time an energy
Pete

·
Administrator
12,570 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
this in theory would let the rubbers take the "shock" load off the transaxle, as well as moving the mass to the clutch end, and possibly letting the syncros better do their job
No, if you moved the clutch to the front of the car, the entire driveshaft would be attached to the input shaft of the transmission, and the synchros would need to spin up all that mass.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but the rotational mass would naturaly want to slow down faster as it dissconects to the clutch, wouldnt it? thus helping the syncros

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
It would still be attached to the exact same stuff in the clutch assembly, you’d just be adding the weight of the driveshaft.

·
Administrator
12,570 Posts
I was not aware these transaxles had synchro issues ...

Pete

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
The transaxle cars have a typical Alfa gearbox. My Milano was pretty much the same as my Spider with regards to being able to beat the synchros.

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
I'm with Tom on this. The less mass the synchros have to deal with, the nicer the shift and the longer they last.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok..guess i was over thinking it..just seemed like another round about idea to help things, i figured with the center bearing always applying some amount of drag would help slow things down and then on top of that the rubbers helping relive clutch shock on the system....but in the end its a whole lot more wight in the spin

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
Slowing down generally isn’t the problem. On downshifts the synchros need to SPEED UP the input shaft. That’s the problem, and more mass doesn’t help.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
The Porsche 944's have the clutch on the motor and transaxle in the rear.

·
Administrator
12,570 Posts
Solution, move the engine to the rear too :D

Pete

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Porsche 944's have the clutch on the motor and transaxle in the rear.
and thats probably where the idea came from , well that and me not wanting to take a low mile engine apart for balancing....and..well, id KILL for more "hip" and "arse" space in my lloyd.....the transaxle clutch unit is right there

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Porsche used a steel tunnel with a shaft and roller bearings to send the power back to the transaxle. So there was no flex joints or vibration problems. I memory serves me. It was all connected to become one complete assembly when bolted together.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you are correct and its NOT fun to put in..ive got a friend with a couple 944s and ive done work on them ..not fun but a solid enough design

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
In between working on Alfas 25 years ago. I worked on Saab's at a Porsche / Audi / Saab dealer. My lift was next to the 944 tech. He could do the clutch in about 1/2 of the time that the job payed. He had this weird impact gun that he could get between the clutch housing and the clutch. You have to drop trans axle out of the car and your suppose to remove the torque tube. But he could slide it back enough to get that impact in to remove the flywheel.

The funnest one of that design to drive was the last year of the 924. Which had all the running gear of the 944. so its was faster then the 944 that year.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Did anyone see the Alfetta GT on ebay that had 2 transmissions?
Complete hack. It was 10 or 12 years ago.
I wished It's saved pictures of it.
The guy cut the floor to fit a Spider engine and transmission, then used the rear half of the Alfetta prop shaft to bolt to the transaxle.
Transaxle was then a 5 speed differential and I think he had both shifters in the car.
He claimed he'd gone over 150 MPH in it.
It was nuts and obviously didn't sell!
I am not making this up! :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Someone else saw it too when it was on ebay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts