Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jay brought this duetto back from California about a month ago. It's now in the rotation, and heading to the customs suspension shop. It has plenty of surprises in it too....

The striping begins...

Motor and tranny is out...

After a day of doing his magic.......

Once the car was stripped, it was time to start looking at what challenges we had in front of us. And there are plenty.

A common issue in duettos is rusted parcel trays. We can clean the rust off the surface but what about the sub-floor? The problem is, knowing if the rust is at the surface or is it damaged at the sub-floor? In the past the only way to know was cut the floor open at find out. This car had a roll bar, so there are extra holes.

We like using our fiber-optic camera. It allows us to see inside rockers, sub floors, cross members and channels.

As you can see, the sub-floor is damaged.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Daron
From the look of the multiple paint colors visible in your pics, this Duetto has been thru a number of less than ideal "restorations". I see red beneath flat black in the ****pit, with grey floors and white exterior. :confused: I’d be suspect of all areas that have been worked over on this chassis. The only surprise would be to find that something was done in a thorough and proper manner.

Your crew and you can do it – we can watch. :)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right. There is lots of areas that we suspect are in very bad shape. When we get it back from the blasters we will know better. I know I'll have to pay them extra to remove the body filler that we can see. As for colors, we can count 5 different paint jobs. White, blue, green, 2 reds (original and something later).

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We seem to be making that repair on Duetto's a lot. When Charlie gets back from taking some personal time next week, I'm having him make a few sets of parcel trays. To have in stock.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Parcel Tray Repairs

I have this problem with a Duetto I am just starting. Any advice on the repair process and parts. I could make them but it would be a lot easier if I could buy the panels.

Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can buy the parcel shelves from Wolf steel. They are quite good reproductions.

Note that they come in two sections and don't include the tunnel section.

When removing the old shelves, keep in mind that there is a support bracket underneath the shelves, that is spot welded to them. It took me a while to figure out why the shelf would not come loose after I had cut around the perimeter :eek:.

Marc

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Shelf Bracket

Thanks for the advise on Wolf Steel. I'll give them a try. I cut the panels out this afternoon, I found the brackets as well. I also discovered the sub floor was rusted as well. Does Wolf Steel make this part as well?

This car was left out side and the top leaked. It is somewhat frustrating to know the previous owner could have prevented this.

On the plus side the car came to me fairly complete. The floor pans are trashed, but the rockers look okay.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the same problem. I think you are on your own in terms of the sub floor. I have not seen these anywhere. The floor pans are available, I bought mine from Alfaholics in the UK.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Sub Floor

I think your right. I chould be able to "cut and patch" the floor by removing the rusted areas and welding in new. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts