Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any electrics buffs out there can help me out with a couple of reistors? I need a 1 K ohm and two 100 ohm resistors for Alfa related projects. Our local Frys store seems to be clearing out its floors for shutting down and online outfits have packs of 10 or 100. Could someone with a stash drop a few in a letter and send me, please?

Much thanks

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
What wattage do you need? I have 1K and maybe 100 but they’re only 1/16 watt. A fantastic online source for electronic components is www.digikey.com They’ll sell qty 1, but of course you pay shipping

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1/16 watt should be fine. Can I send you my mailing address in a Private Message?

Thanks,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,624 Posts
The advantage of buying a pack of 10, if you're using them for stuff like calibrating gauges, is that you can mix and match them to get a wide variety of resistances.

With 100s you can put a couple in series to get 200 or higher, or put them in parallel to get 50, 33, etc. It lets you check calibrations over multiple ranges without having to buy a bunch of single resistors.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
As an idea, you can use a potentiometer (pot) to test it. Make sure the range is where you need it. I solder leads on the pot and then I solder or clip the other side of the lead to the board or component. Make sure you get the resistance correct, before connecting it to the circuit. Run an ohmmeter to the pot. Why do this? The circuit has a resistance/impedance, so when you hook up the pot and try to measure the resistance at the terminals, you'll not only get the resistance of the pot, but also of the circuit - think of it as running two resistors in parallel and how the final resistance is different than the resistor.

As another thought, you could salvage an old circuit board - you might get lucky and find the right resistor. Or as Gubi said, you can take two 200 ohm resistors and put them in parallel to get a 100 ohm. Or take two 50 ohm and put them in series to get a 100 ohm ... or any combination.

A few weeks ago, I needed a 1 ohm resistor for a Honda fan speed circuit (replace a thermistor). Fry's only had 1.5 ohm, so I put two in series to get 3 ohms and then took three of those pairs in parallel to get 1 ohm. I think it was only a few dollars for a package of 100 resistors.

·
Push hard and live
11,032 Posts
I bought a box of made in China resistors on EBay about 3 or 4 years ago. Probably 100-200 or more different values, all nicely packaged 10 to a bag. Total cost was so low it was a non-number. I’ve used dozens out of the box, plus the ability to diddle with the values to dial in oil temp gauges.

False economy to look for a couple at a time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts