Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1987 Quad
Discussion Starter #1
My experience with British Cars, specifically Healeys and Jags, is that I could find most every part I needed, but often the replacement part, while functional, did not fit well or at all. Sometimes the replacement was just clearly of poor manufacturing quality.

What is the state of affairs with Alfa Spider Parts? High quality and good fit as original or .... my guess is that some items are spot on while others not so good, but I have no experience and would appreciate hearing from you.

For example, I don鈥檛 know that I will need these, but if I were to order a radiator and/or a fuel tank do they look right and fit? I almost always prefer to recondition my original parts when possible but there are times when that just won鈥檛 work or it is just so much easier to install a new one.

Finally, one more question. My car was repainted to a high standard back in 1999. Paint is still quite good with nice shine. However, the engine bay firewall and valances, while the same color as the exterior, appear flat as if no clear coat was applied. I am sure that the engine bay was not sprayed when the exterior was repainted. What is the engine bay paint supposed to look like? Glossy like the exterior or perhaps not flat, but without much shine to it?

Thanks for the advice on parts and paint.

Lin

Premium Member
My experience with British Cars, specifically Healeys and Jags, is that I could find most every part I needed, but often the replacement part, while functional, did not fit well or at all. Sometimes the replacement was just clearly of poor manufacturing quality.

What is the state of affairs with Alfa Spider Parts? High quality and good fit as original or .... my guess is that some items are spot on while others not so good, but I have no experience and would appreciate hearing from you.

For example, I don鈥檛 know that I will need these, but if I were to order a radiator and/or a fuel tank do they look right and fit? I almost always prefer to recondition my original parts when possible but there are times when that just won鈥檛 work or it is just so much easier to install a new one.

Finally, one more question. My car was repainted to a high standard back in 1999. Paint is still quite good with nice shine. However, the engine bay firewall and valances, while the same color as the exterior, appear flat as if no clear coat was applied. I am sure that the engine bay was not sprayed when the exterior was repainted. What is the engine bay paint supposed to look like? Glossy like the exterior or perhaps not flat, but without much shine to it?

Thanks for the advice on parts and paint.

Lin
Lin
There is a mixed bag of parts vendors here as well.
I have used replacement fuel tanks from Centerline and it worked fine. Never have had any issues with them
I do prefer to refurb original parts where possible.
I have gotten my best service and prices form Classic Alfa in England.
There are some others like Del-Priore and OKP that come up with some oddball hard to find parts but don't expect rapid delivery.
Alfa Parts Exchange for used parts.

Reactions: autobroker

Registered
I鈥檇 been using Classic Alfa quite a lot of late for panels and parts, and so far I鈥檝e been very impressed with the quality. The body panels they鈥檝e supplied have been very good quality.

Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
Vick's - avoid 'em like the plague. Parts may not fit, zero customer service. Ugh.

For Alfas with factory two-stage paint, the engine bay wasn't clear-coated.

David OD
Laguna CA

Registered
1987 Quad
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen!
Lin

Premium Member
Thank you gentlemen!
Lin
Gentlemen? You obviously don't know me well!! :LOL:
But you are most welcome anyway