Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’ve got a question to especially A/C-Montreal-owners (and of course to all others) :

Can anybody tell me the function (task) of the long wire at the rear end of the A/C-switch, I think it is a capillary tube ?
And how can I test the function ?
And the last question : should the wire bend to a spiral (coil), as shown in the picture in the spare parts catalogue ?

Hope someone knows the part from his own car and recognize the look like:detective:

greetings from foggy Bavaria
Andreas

Attachments

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Hi Andreas I just happened to have a N.O.S. version of the exact part sitting on the desk next to me. The label on the part says:
"3ART5RF8 COLD CONTROL VOLTS A.C.120, 240 AMPS F.L. 10.0 5.0 AMPS L.R. 60.0 30.0"
There is a capillary tube on the part and the one in the NOS box has the tube wrapped around the cold control. I believe this part is a primitive type of thermostat to regulate the cabin temperature to the desired ‘set point’.
Hopefully someone with more A/C experience will come along and direct us further. I also have 105.64.10.027.00 (NOS) here as well that mounts on the compressor (I see one on eBay in Australia for about $575!).

Mark

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Andreas,

Hopefully, someone on the BB can advise you how to test this switch but, in the meantime, here are some photos of one in my collection that I do not need. I also have other new old stock air conditioning parts.

Greetings from a wet England (as usual),

Alex.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
thank you both for your reply's, now I am one step further :
Mark, I agree with you that this capillary tube is a type of thermostate.
After knowing the text on the label (mine is unreadable) with all the electricity numbers, I guess the capillary tube disconnect at it's shortening (while decreasing ambient temperature) at a certain point the current and so the A/C-compressor is switched off.

I will test this theory per laying the switch in our refrigerator (providing that my wife will agree with that:whistling:).

If this theory is right, wouldn't be the Montreal one of the first car even with an automatically controled air-conditioning (1972 !) ?

At least I intend to bend the wire to a spiral, as shown in the picture of the spare parts catalogue and in the foto of Alex (by working very very carefully !).

Thank you again,
Andreas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts