Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
can some one pls have a look under the hood of their 164, and pls tell me if the recirculation door is actually the sponge foam air inlet, and does it move thru 90 degrees to allow for outside air movement. OR is this door actually under this foam 'filter' (not able to be seen), cos my recirc. servo motor is trying to move the actuator arm which appears to be jammed, solid!!....the servo works fine....

Any clues please

Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
27,165 Posts
Door is "foam" door and when green light on by recirc button door is closed. When green light off foam door opens 90 degrees.

Stepper motor under plastic cover on end of evaporator box. Check both end connectors of wiring harness at motor and near front of evap box below reciever drier area for a bad connector as they go bad with age.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, servo has been fine, just the foam door has never moved, from when I first received it, ventilation has always been an issue. I'll post what was making it stick...it's been quite solid......

·
Premium Member
27,165 Posts
If stuck then door motor (servo) not fine because it's shaft goes into door pivot hinge so if motor working door is working.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took servo off, servo fine, moves when button pushed....door still stuck..:)

·
Premium Member
27,165 Posts
Then, the door pivot point where the motor shaft slips into must be rusted in pivot hole in that upper back corner of evaporator box. Other end of door flap is just a tip on end of door that fits into a black hole in plastic case.

With servo motor and shaft removed from hollow door hinge spray area with PB Blaster and try to work door free.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved!! yes it was rusted, and the hinges were broken, so the PO had screwed the door in place, with 3 screws and cover them with silastic...so they could'nt be seen!!!!
SSSOOOO, to repair this, I've made some new metal hinges to fit over the ends, and it works fine now!!!!
what a dilemma!!!!

The next solved problem was that the heat control lever, which is visible in the center of the air cond area. It's the little arm which controls the mix of Hot and cold air with a cable .

Well the little pin where the cable attaches had snapped , therefore the arm fell forward into the permanently cold spot....and it's winter here!!! :eek:

I've made a new pin by threading a bolt from inside of an inch long piece of hose, and screwing on a nut to hold it on place , chk the photo, then just jamming it on to the end of the lever.....sorted!!!, bodgy, but sorted!!!!

NOW... the next question,,,, it seems that the flow of air isn't able to be changed, it's currently mostly directed to the windscreen, which isn't all bad, in the winter.:eek:
The lights change and the I can hear the stepper motor changing occasionally.....but no dice.

Ok, now the question,... is there ANY way I can avoid having to take to whole dashboard out to inspect the system???!!!! please say yes, pretty please :D:):confused::p

I recon the push arm on the stepper motor is messed up in some way....

any thoughts guys...

oh, I believe that the stepper gear are already brass...

Thanks in advance
Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,165 Posts
OK, your talking RHD right? You maybe in luck if so remove instrument cluster so you can see air distribution drum stepper near firewall. I suspect your drum hub that stepper keyed to is broken so if stepper working shaft turns but drum key broken. Remove stepper motor from drum and see if all the hub pieces still there. If so you need brass plumbing ferrel to fit over hub to hold pieces together so motor shaft will trurn drum from defroest to heat, etc.

http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/b809401.htm Drum hub fix

http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/b809302.htm LHD directions

You still having fun? Nice fix on heat control lever.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, light at the end of the tunnel!!!! or is it the light of an oncoming train :)

anyway, I knew this car would be some 'fun', but I do like the challenge.
I'll post what I find...and yes RHD.
Oh I've finished the suspension and put on some new rims...I'll show it off soon,
:)
Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Results of the last thrilling AC repair.
as I said in the last post the venting wasn't changing, even tho I could hear the stepper moving.
So I took off the instrument cluster to discover that there were wads of cardboard jammed around the stepper motor, supposedly to keep it in place.

I removed the center vents, which let me reach into the main vent chamber, and while taking some skin off the back of my hand, I could feel the main air control surface, and tell that it was moving freely...too freely. ok chk out the stepper.

I removed the 2 screws in the front of the SM frame (chk photo), pulled out the wads of folded up cardboard, and the motor fell clear.
Upon removing the SM there was cardboard and sponge rubber in the back of the cavity too.....trying to jam it up against the main housing, and failing :b

ok, check the operation of the SM while leaving it plugged in...all ok.

The reason ( I think) the motor need to be jammed in place, was that after the brass gears where changed, there was no way to clip the 3 radial plastic tabs on the SM to the main housing...as this was installed with the main housing out of the car, ex factory.

Now with a little shaving of the tabs and some special WCH (wire coat hanger) tools I managed to encourage the tabs in place..HOO YEAH!!! :)

sorted..., the system is nice when it works :)

stay tuned.

Thanks for your help guys.
Mike

oh, better put some antiseptic on the back of my hand..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,165 Posts
At least with RHD models you can get to steppers without pulling dash loose like we have to on LHD models. Or is it just one stepper motor on that side for air distribution and temp one on other side on the RHD models.

Glad you found a way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts