Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car back form the A/C shop and the system was working fine until it stopped blowing air...?!!:confused: When crusing on the freeway you can feel the cold air barely coming through the vents however speed 1-4 is not functioning at all. The green lights on those buttons do light up. Then, after turning it off an and turning on the air again it suddenly started working again and now its back to not working.... Electrical issue or can someone shed light onto what could be the problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try kicking the center console!

You do have it set to the correct temperature, as it does its own thing in the wrong mode!

Seriously there are little parts that jam, and expensive little motors that do not last for ever. It is all electric. It could be the relay, hope it is not the computer.

My wife fixed mine by pressing all the buttons like a loon until it started working again. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,552 Posts
Check the connections to the blower motor. They are located ahead of the driver's location under that really flimsy black plastic shield under the rear of the hood. It is possible that connection is dirty or corroded, or the motor itself could be seizing. They do that after a while because the fan motor bearing on the driver's side end of the motor is exposed to the world and gets dry and dirty, or, the motor brushes wear out. It can be lubed, but you can also replace the motor for about $60 using a Saab motor (it's the same motor).

There may be other causes but check the motor first to see if it is getting power.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Just got the car back form the A/C shop and the system was working fine until it stopped blowing air...?!!:confused: When crusing on the freeway you can feel the cold air barely coming through the vents however speed 1-4 is not functioning at all. The green lights on those buttons do light up. Then, after turning it off an and turning on the air again it suddenly started working again and now its back to not working.... Electrical issue or can someone shed light onto what could be the problem?

Thanks
Check 40A fuse bar G255 for hairline crack on backside of false firewall. Fuse bar is directly behind same style cooling fan fuse G254 on front of false firewall. Be sure you have 12v in and 12v out and it is not cracked in middle.

Check connector to blower motor that female wire connectors firmly attached to male ends coming from motor inside connector as putty like material in connector gives up over time and female ends pull off male end.

Chances are blower motor brushes have worn out if fuse and wire connector OK.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I inspected the blower motor and made sure all of the fuses and connectors were in place and wala, it now works. The blower itself once running didnt sound bad.... Thanks everyone for your help

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
ok, I inspected the blower motor and made sure all of the fuses and connectors were in place and wala, it now works. The blower itself once running didnt sound bad.... Thanks everyone for your help

Be prepared for blower motor replacement in your future if you have well over a 100,000 miles on car as brushes do wear out since blower motor runs any time system in either ECON or AUTO mode which most of the time.

I replaced my blower motor at 190,000 miles due to worn out brushes not noisy bearings. I replaced rescue project car blower motor at 176,000 as it didn't work for same reason when I got car. I replaced one in my daughter's car at 149,000 miles due to noisy bearings and slow running but brushes had a little life left in them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You must get longer life from the blow motors up north. Since we use AC almost year round, that may explain the mileage difference. My Texas only 91 S blower motor started making noise when I bought with 126k miles. By 135K it was making terrible noises. I finally replaced it with 137k miles and the bearing and brushes were worn so bad that it wore a grove in the metal housing. The new motor pushes much more air and is as quiet as new 164 blower motor can be. The Bosch motor is cheap, but the labor and knowing I had to open the AC system, plus having the heater core starring me in the face increase the costs. Glad your AC system is back up and running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts