Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last week my A/C fan has been cutting out. To switch it back on, I wack the center console. :)

1) How hard is it to remove the fan switch?

2) Do the harness plugs melt?

3) Is this common?

Right now I can make the A/C work but the interior gauge lights are flickering.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
486 Posts
does the fan work on the highest setting? this would indicate that the resistors for the lower two speeds are broken

also, I believe the fan's all three speed leads go into the same resistor pack mounted in the airbox

fan switches can melt, but its more likely to be a shotty connection back there

the fan switch is not 'hard' to remove, but it does take time. you unscrew the center console, slide it back, and remove it (parking brake is predictably in the way). you then can undo the fascia surrounding the controls, and unscrew the controls 4 screws, and tilt it forward. you cannot totally remove the controls, as it has a freon capillary tube attached

·
Premium Member
16,241 Posts
This sounds familiar.

There is a multiconnector up and to the right of the gas pedal behind the center console which has the connections for the a/c. While on a trip to hot hot Arizona and El Paso (it was 110F out) with our new 89 Milano in 1990, the a/c started shutting off and back on again. After fiddling around, whacking the center console as a first step, we found that this connector had pulled apart just enough to shut the a/c off. Pushing it back together again fixed it. Been fine for 20 years now.

Take a look for that connector.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
I have spare switches in the unlikely event that you need one. I may also have the resistor pack. I am on vacation and I will be home June 12.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts